STUCK Torsion Bolts... Again

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Bocks, May 21, 2018.

1. Bocks

Bocks Member

Truck:
    1995 Pickup
    Way back I had a 1994 pickup and when I was reverting it back to stock and adjusting the torsion bars to raise the front I jammed one of the torsion bar adjustment bolts and had to cut it out. Fast forward three years to my 1995 that I lowered with drop spindles, I just jammed another one while fine tuning the front ride height and had to break it off.

I'm usually pretty good with car stuff and this one doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The bolt wasn't rusty, I JUST had the entire setup apart on both sides to install upgraded torsion bars from swayaway, and I definitely loosened (read removed) the upper lock nut, so that isn't the issue either.

A friend pointed out that the half moons on either side of the torsion key had some corrosion and no grease and this could have caused the wrong type of tension if they couldn't rotate at all during adjustment due to the clamping force.

Has anyone else had any issues here? I didn't grease the half moons or the bolt during re-installation and when I put a new bolt in I'll grease everything, but this seems strange that I've managed to do this twice and the bolt is designed to adjust suspension components and should maybe have a more coarse thread or something.

Any input at all would be interesting. Thank you all.

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Anti-sieze on install and a PB Blaster soak on disassembly are your friends in these types of situations

joemvrquez likes this.