Steering clunk noise advice

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by 22R88, Mar 15, 2014.

1. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Hi Guys,
    I have a 1988 2WD 22R reg cab deluxe that I have restored and looks great. It has power steering. I have had a clunk that I always thought was the anti rattle rubbers inside the column where the two shafts go together because if I would grab the shaft going down to the steering gear and wiggle it would move slightly back and forth(slop). I recently put a tilt column in and replaced and greased all that assembly and it is fine now. Truck drives great all nice and tight. Drag link, idler arm and tie rods were replaced about a year ago too. If you rock the wheel back and forth you still get a clunk or loose sound that I suspect is the steering gear itself ??? It won't always make the sound but will most of the time. Just wondering if there could be anything else to look into before proceeding with replacing the gearbox.

Thanks,
    22R88

2. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Anybody with steering box experience ???

3. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Mine does that... its the gearbox.

My centered steering wheel has some play, but when I park with the wheel turned a bit, I get 3x's the play.... it is what it is.

4. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Replacing the anti rattle rubbers and re greasing the intermediate shaft connection to the main shaft in the steering column fixed that slack in my steering, it drives great but my next step is to stop the clunk. I will replace the gearbox in the near future as it seems to be an easy job. Thanks for the response.

22R88

5. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Update!! Put in rebuilt gearbox from ebay and all is good. Can feel the Lexus heritage in the steering wheel now.

22R88

6. Erick561

Erick561 Veteran

I ship from New London County CT I Price Match
    Truck:
    79 Toyota Hilux 4WD WHEELING DAILY DRIVER
    niice

7. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    A little fyi for ya. Where the two shafts go together, that is called a " rag joint ". That can also play a big role in steering play. Not too bad to rebuild either. Just replacing the rubber can make a difference. :waytogo:

8. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    I did that when I installed the Tilt Column. I removed the blocks and measured them and they were OK. Put in the new rubbers and all the looseness went away there. Still had a clunk but after troubleshooting I replaced the gearbox and all is smooth and tight now.

9. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

Man I might have to do that! This thread really interested me because I have the exact same truck. And getting the steering perfect has always been a challenge! Felt like I replaced almost everything up front.

I eventually was like F**k it, is what it is. But ~$250 doesn't sound too bad, to finally get perfect steering.

10. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    That damm clunk always bothered the hell out of me. Glad it is finally fixed.

22R88

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  11. trying2learn

trying2learn Newbie

Truck:
    88 pickup 22r RWD longbed deluxe model
    Hey did you get the 1 ton or except 1 ton?? is there a difference? I'm having the same problem and was looking at a couple hundred just for a shop to try and figure out what it is that's wrong.. From reading your post and wiggling stuff under the hood sounds like it's the same issue. I also have the 88RWD DLX with extended bed. Looking around online Im seeing $200 for except 1 ton and $170 for 1 ton chassis.. Thanks!