Starting work on a 83 hilux

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by J.inandjuice, Jun 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. J.inandjuice

J.inandjuice Newbie

My dad recently picked up a 83 hilux 2wd sr5, and I've been messing with it non stop for the past couple days. I've got some questions that I can't find clear answers for right now just wondering if anybody would know.

1. it's got a rattling timing chain. could be just a guide, but without any history on this truck with 296K miles I'd rather dig in and fix it than have oil and coolant soup in my drain pan some day. My question here is will a timing kit from a 92 22r (efi) work with this 83 22r? I would just order one that says it's for this year 22r, but I already have a full kit on hand for my 92 hilux project which is looking more long term.

2. I've followed a rabbit hole trying to figure out what sort of axle is underneath this truck. Maybe the info is here and I'm just not seeing it but I want to find out what size diff I've got.

3. I want to install some 45 weber sidedrafts with a cannon intake, is there anything specific that I just save from the old manifold?

Beyond those things I'm sure I'll have some more questions eventually, but I appreciate any help or info. Thanks in Advance.
    The 83 at Vance's place.JPG

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    1. 1983 is right around the time Toyota switched from a double roller timing chain to a single roller timing chain. I forget the exact year. Pop off the valve cover to see if you have the double roller. If you do, I don't think your 1993 kit will work.

2. No idea about the rear axle.

3. Nothing from the stock intake is used with a dual side draft carb setup except the thermostat and maybe the radiator hose, iirc...

3. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    25E4E582-933A-4257-B926-D9A71A65FEEF.jpeg
    You should have a factory ID plate somewhere under the hood. It gives you such information as engine size, transmission type and rear axle type. I’ve attached photo of my plate for reference. My truck’s a 1978, so much older than yours. Information should be similar.

4. J.inandjuice

J.inandjuice Newbie

Thanks! I'll check it out today.

5. J.inandjuice

J.inandjuice Newbie

I was looking for info on the door plate but I will check out the one under the hood. thanks!

6. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    1. it's got a rattling timing chain. could be just a guide, but without any history on this truck with 296K miles I'd rather dig in and fix it than have oil and coolant soup in my drain pan some day. My question here is will a timing kit from a 92 22r (efi) work with this 83 22r? I would just order one that says it's for this year 22r, but I already have a full kit on hand for my 92 hilux project which is looking more long term. - Your truck is still a double chain. The tensioner and the chain guides will be needing to be changed.

2. I've followed a rabbit hole trying to figure out what sort of axle is underneath this truck. Maybe the info is here and I'm just not seeing it but I want to find out what size diff I've got. - Your truck shold be like mine which is a W50 with ~3.73 gears

3. I want to install some 45 weber sidedrafts with a cannon intake, is there anything specific that I just save from the old manifold? - Not sure! I live in CA, so I need to keep all smog equipment.

7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I'm don't think the 22re chain will work at all with the taller deck height of the later heads compared to your shorter deck height. That's why they have conversion kits. You would only switch to single if you're chasing revs because you want that lighter assembly. As stated the thermostat housing is the only thing you need off the intake. The radiator hose will need to be cut shorter. Might have trouble fitting big filters. One thing with webers is you lose vacuum advance. Truck may run hotter cruising depending how you drive. They are pretty much a on off switch. Mikuni's do have vacuum advance though so keep that in mind. Way hard to find along with the parts. More then likely will no have the right size choke for you application when you find a set. There are carb calculators to help you find your starting point. And you need to make sure they are matching. On webers you deal with 151 and 151g most of the time. Pretty sure the g has 5 progression holes.

8. Toyodandy

Toyodandy Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Longbed
    Sweet truck. Get the dual row timing chain upgrade if you don’t already have it. With steel backed timing chain guides.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021