Spare tire and storage?

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by Barnacles, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Barnacles

Barnacles Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 Hilux - 3VZE
    In an effort to try and make my ride more reliable, I'm looking for a spare tire and a solid way to stow the thing on my truck. I'm running the stock steelies on a 1976 and want to basically just get another full-size wheel and tire and mount it somewhere out of sight and out of the cab.

Any suggestions? What do you guys do for a spare tire?

2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    My spare is mounted in the stock location, under the bed behind the axle just like it came from the factory. Is there something about your truck that you cannot do that?

3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I drive my custom truck weekly & to shows all over,even out of state ,no spare tire!

I have AAA 160 mile range & run some of the best high speed tires you can get!

They can get me to a tire shop if needed!!:cool:

4. Barnacles

Barnacles Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 Hilux - 3VZE
    I appreciate the insight. Without any real documentatio on the truck, I wasn't exactly sure where the stock location was. My truck definitely doesn't have a spare there, but I'll look for evidence of the mounting brackets and such when I get home.

Ha! This is the strategy I'm running right now, but my tires aren't exactly *ahem* high quality. As a matter of fact I went to have a flat repaired the other day and the tire bead tore as guy was removing it from the rim -> bought a used tire to replace it for $10 and it was pretty much the fanciest upgrade my rig has... The next day I realize a different tire has a bubble in it due to the belts coming apart -> bought another used tire (this time $35) and now I have *ahem* two upgrades!! While the AAA strategy has worked for me thus far, I'd like a little more independence as I am often out in the sticks where there's no cell range (i.e. no AAA).

5. Barnacles

Barnacles Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 Hilux - 3VZE
    Checked my truck out. I guess the few scraps of chain hanging under there are for the spare. Now I just need to find a spare wheel and tire and figure out a way to get it all mounted under there...

6. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Probably.

I don't know how the spare is mounted in your generation truck but in my truck, there is a crank system that raises and lowers the spare tire that hangs on the chain. The hydraulic type jack came with an extra long crank handle; its length is about the width of the cab. This is because the handle is also used for turning the crank underneath the truck to raise and lower the spare.

Hope that makes sense/helps.

7. Steve M Clark

Steve M Clark Member

Truck:
    1980 SR5 short bed
    Look behind your seat for a jack,long rod, lug wrench and handle.It fits in a hole near the rear license plate and cranks the tire up or down(the rod and handle).