small block chevy swap questions

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by jaysonbarenberg, Oct 11, 2014.

1. jaysonbarenberg

jaysonbarenberg Newbie

Truck:
    93 sigle cab shortbox, 82 longbox sr5 4x4
    hey new to the forum and have some questions that i couldnt answer in searching this forum........
    now, i have a 93 base pickup (swb 22re 2wd) i lost the 22re at 225,000 and i have a 305 from a 92 camaro and a 700r4. ill be doing a simple carb/hei setup but where the question lies is in the conversion motor mounts. all the pre fabbed ones ive seen are for 4x4 trucks and recomend a 2" body lift and thats not the direction i wanna go. i want a low mean street machine. plus id like and insight from anyone who has done this swap, i know ill probably figure things out as i go but im one a very strict budget and would like to do this once... the right way
    thanks in advance guys

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    The body lift is for firewall clearance around the bellhousing. A 2 lb sledge hammer will provide the needed room if you build your own motormounts to keep the engine low enough.

3. jaysonbarenberg

jaysonbarenberg Newbie

Truck:
    93 sigle cab shortbox, 82 longbox sr5 4x4
    is the clearence just for the firewall or also for the tranny tunnle too? if i mount the engine much lower will the exhaust ports have enough room to the frame for manifolds/headers also wondering about the trans mount vs the factory crossmember location. heck if anyone has a link to a build thread on one of these 2wd trucks it would be greatly appreciated

4. Blacklightnin55

Blacklightnin55 Member

Truck:
    1990 Ext-cab
    Not quite sure of the clearance that is needed at the firewall. But I was told you would need a 1 inch body lift kit to clear the transmission at the transmission tunnel. I myself will be swapping a late model 5.3 LSX into my pick up. For me I will not be using a lift kit. Ordered a Holley oil pan which will allow me to lower the engine during installation and also allow me to move engine forward away from firewall. For me the only problem I forsee is the exhaust manifolds. Can either go with Sanderson headers or 2010+ stock exhaust manifolds. Will make that decision later. For now just collecting parts.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  5. vettelover

vettelover Newbie

Truck:
    1994 22re 5speed