Sleeve or Overbore

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Justin Danger, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    I have brought 2 locks to my machinist in hopes to have them bored for some .040 over postons that I have. Both are nearly at .060 over. So do I go ahead and go for .060 over and get new pistons, or do I sleeve it and use my pistons that I have in hand.

I jave heard that .060 over is pushing the limits on these engines, is that so? Should I be worried about that?

Thanks for any input!

2. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Go .060" over, The 22R block has shown to be good to .080" over. But if you have the money, sleeve all four bores with chromoly sleeves and go to 95mm bore. Problem with boring .060" over might be pistons, not sure that size would be readily available without going to a custom piston. Sleeving the block would not be cost effective either. Look at D.O.A. racing and LC Performance for, maybe, off the shelf pistons. Not sure if they would have 93.5mm pistons either, might have to go to a 94mm.

Toyotashack likes this.
  3. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Oh yeah? 22rePerformance makes some beautiful pistons that I can get at .060 and for much cheaper than LCE.
    On an iron block wouldn't Cromo expand and contract at a different rate and cause issues?
    This will be a turbo engine, so longevity is my main concern.

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Might be best to wait out this shortage of parts because you can get a new block for a reasonable price when they are available.

5. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I'm going .060" NPR pistons from 22reperf. Even the non turbo block can handle .080"= 94mm.

6. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I've got a set of turbo forged pistons .040 over from 22reperformance, and 2 blocks that are both bored too large. I'm trying to exchange the block I recently bough because the guy assured me they were only .020 over. He said he has another that is definitely only .020 over. I told him to send me a picture of calipers in the cylinder to assure me.

If he doesn't get that picture for me, I will be returning the block I got from him.

Seems like the price of sleeving is more than a set of new pistons, so I may just go .060 over with my old block and get new pistons.

Toyotashack likes this.