Seeking a decent low ride for my 94 base

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Pickup, May 9, 2016.

1. Pickup

Pickup Newbie

First things first. I purchased this baby from Indiana (not much use of salt causing rust out there). I brought her home with 120k miles 6 or so years ago. I did a few maintenance things and dropped her with 2in blocks in the rear and a ball joint flip in the front with a little t-bar lower up front. I rocked her this way for a year or so until she blew a head gasket. My round trip for work is 80 miles, that brought her up to 155k, until she just didn't start one day after burning through a gallon of coolant every 500 miles for 15k miles.

I've brought her back to life with a completely new top end and a known running 200k mile block of a 22R. These engines are great! as we know. She did sit for a few years and rust has developed, but I'm going to handle that. She has been great to me, even had some track time with her when they shut the bikes down.

I have purchased DJM drop control arms and all new front parts including ES poly upper and lower control arm bushings. Because I want to do the drop right this time.

All shocks are new. Autozone top of the line for my truck, Gabriel
    Ultra.

What can you tell me about dropping a leaf in the rear and how it affects ride quality?

Remember I am traveling through the midwest rust belt, rough ass roads. And I love this little truck and want to make her my daily driver.

I'm looking for all information pertaining to how I can maintain some ride quality and just be a little bit lower (3-4) I don't need to haul the full 1/2 ton this little beast is capable of...

2. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    I cant comment about the leaf. But if u want something to help protect the frame and chassis from rusting, look into fluid film or similar product.

3. Pickup

Pickup Newbie

Thanks Frinzo I have some converter.

Anyone care to chime in on my suspension?

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    You pull a leaf and the rear is going to be softer.

5. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    I have airshocks with 4" blocks and 3" lowering leafsprings. It rides fairly well

6. Pickup

Pickup Newbie

Thanks guys. I'm starting as cheaply as possible. I'm thinking about pulling one leaf and seeing how it will level with the DJM control arms I have.
    I plan to keep the 2in blocks.
    I'm going to install the DJM control arms and place the BJ in the factory 'unflipped' position at first. Maybe that will help with the rough ride up front?
    If the rear is still too high or rides too rough, what do you think about pulling another leaf?
    Should I be afraid of breaking a leaf?
    The passenger sags nearly an inch. There used to be a shop nearby that could re bend springs...
    Has anyone found factory single leafs for a decent price?

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    If you start pulling leafs stop when all you have is the main and overload

8. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    1994 Pickup Standard Cab Base 22RE Manual
    3/4 drop with blocks good drop shocks, spindles, bj flip, adjusted torsions is a clean look and still a practical ride. I have about a 4/4 drop and no complaints here.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  9. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Yea i wouldnt recommend pulling anymore then 1 leaf. I had a single leag spring setup on my truck when i bought it....very bad idea. Had stress cracks in them when i replaced them

10. Pickup

Pickup Newbie

I was hoping to pull the bottom one as it looked easiest... I guess the middle will be it.

11. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    yeah, should be the middle not the bottom(overload).