Rust rust RUST repair

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Cibarius, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Cibarius

Cibarius Member

Bought my 78 long bed 5 years ago before moving to the Ocean.. needless to say it's really taken its toll on my baby.

I'm going to need significant rust repair/body work. Anyone have any recommendations for the NorCal/Mendocino area?

The corner of the doors are rusting through all the way - every time I drive her around parts of her fall out! Holes in the roof, getting worse by the day.

I'm looking to get her very well straightened up, and then some.

2. ToxicToyz

ToxicToyz Addict

Truck:
    88 longbed
    I don't know about you area but I live in Hawaii so salt breeze 24/7 365. Patched up all the rust and new paint job on my truck about 5 years ago and its slowly coming back now. We just did the usual, cut out the rust and replace with new metal. All I can say is make sure all the body seams are air tight. And treat the rust right away. POR 15 is great for rust, used some on a few hidden rust spot and it seals it up real good

3. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

Is it possible that finding a solid cab would be cheaper? I don't know the extent of your rust but if you're unable to do the work yourself it can get fairly expensive.

4. convertedable

convertedable Newbie

Truck:
    1978 Hilux
    Myself, I like the rusted look and keep it on my truck. But I do stop it from rusting further by taking a bar of paraffin wax and rub it on the rusted areas like coloring with a crayon. Then take a heat gun and melt the rubbed on wax into the rust. This will stop the rust, but don't expect to paint over this the paint will not stick. I have done this to many part of my truck, you can't tell looks like normal rust and has lasted for years without a recoat