Rubberized under-coating removal?

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Kenny G, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Kenny G

Kenny G Newbie

So as the title states i'm looking for a way to remove rubberized under-coating, but here's the problem:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The truck is totally sprayed with it. I thought it was just flat-black paint when i bought it, unfortunately, it's under-coating. It can't be sanded off as it just gums-up sand paper. I tried a few chemicals and nothing I tried works except 3M Adhesive remover. Much to my chagrin it just turn the coating into black, caustic goo that's real messy.
    I may remove the bed and have it sand-blasted, but that would be far off as I need to put this truck to work.

Anyone have any other ideas?

2. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i have no idea how to remove it, but it sucks they did it because that looks to be a mojave edition yota

3. gilpet79

gilpet79 Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 2wd
    aircraft stripper razor blade scrapers and lots of newspaper

4. Kenny G

Kenny G Newbie

I think it may be. The bed is wrong i know that for sure. THe sun roof is not correct either (it should be tinted bronze). Everything else points to it being a Mojave. The cab is gold under the black stuff and the interior is the right color + the typical SR5 goodies.

5. Kenny G

Kenny G Newbie

Will that remove the paint underneath as well?

6. Toy88yota

Toy88yota Member

Truck:
    88 2wd
    You should look into other Media for blasting, like baking soda, walnuts, etc. Harbor freight has a cheap soda blasting kit, it may be worth a shot.

7. gilpet79

gilpet79 Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 2wd
    Yes the aircraft stripper will remove everything and take it back to bare metal. I agree you could go get a soda blasting kit but the aircraft stripper is cheap and works really well. Just make sure to wear gloves and a dust mask, this stuff aint no joke lol
    But if you plan to paint, why not start off fresh!!

8. Kenny G

Kenny G Newbie

[​IMG]

Tried a gas-powered, high pressure washer for 5 minutes. I thunk i'll hit the whole truck with it including the frame,

9. topcop182

topcop182 Addict

Truck:
    1993 single cab 2wd
    Aircraft stripper, then get plastic visqueen and tape the pane up to seal it in there, park it in the sun, then come behind with a mask, gloves, and a putty knife. another thought is you could try to melt it off....

10. Kenny G

Kenny G Newbie

Made a little more progress.
    Whatever methode I ultimately decide on, this will make it that much easier,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It might not look like much, but the pressure washer took off about 1-2mm of the coating.

11. Inertia

Inertia Enthusiast

i used muriatic acid then pressure wash AT CARWASH and mask glove the whole nine yards to remove some under coating on some other car i had