Rod knock?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Smugmetal, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Driving on the highway today and I noticed the truck kinda hesitate even though I was holding at a constant throttle. Got off the highway and the truck sounded odd but couldn't place it, almost like a misfire.. parked it, had to go to physical therapy, came out and started it and it sounded awful. It was sputtering and barely idling. Started making a knocking nose so I recorded it in the video below. About five seconds after the video ends it stalled. Didn't dare turn it back on. Had it towed and it's currently sitting in shame in my garage. Does that sound like rod knock? Gonna check the oil for metal shavings tomorrow..

2. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Same with the 20r? I've got some manuals I'm reading through to get a better idea about these trucks. I'm used to Subarus haha

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thats definitely rod knock. Probably spun the bearing at the crank shaft.

The 20R that was originally in my truck had the same just not as bad. Go thru my build thread and I posted pics of the bearings and rings

Heres a short video of mine

4. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    sorry, I was thinkin of the wrong rods :-/

5. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Well sheeit.

Gonna drop the pan to see how bad it is this weekend.. not sure if this is something I'd want to try to fix right now, just don't have the time. What would something like this cost? I assume it's a full rebuild plus whatever parts may have gotten damaged

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Guna need atleast a bottom end rebuild. But you might as well has the whole thing done

7. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Update:
    Drained the oil and didn't really see any metal shavings.. some black flecks and really tiny metal flecks... Maybe I saved it in time and the damage is minimal? Guess I won't know until I drop the pan right?

Attached Files:

8. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Been awhile, but I finally had a chance to drop the pan on the truck this weekend. Confirmed suspicions. Spun bearing in cylinder 1.

I'm anxious to get the truck back up and running. The options I'm considering:
    - swap motor with a used donor 20r/22r and hope it lasts a while
    - find a pre 84 short (or long) block, machine the 20r head, and build the 20r/22r hybrid
    - have a shop rebuild the 20r

As of now, I am not considering rebuilding the engine myself. I'm having shoulder surgery in three weeks, I'll be in a sling for 8 weeks, and then my son is being born in October. So on top of never having rebuilt a motor previously, not having all the necessary tools/space in my cramped garage, and definitely not the time, it's just not an option. I'm going to call a few local shops to get some feelers for price/ experience. There's a cool local shop that builds restomods so they'd probably be competent, but also pricey.

I'm also not looking to swap anything other than a 20r/22r motor. I'd like to keep it mostly original engine wise. I've got my Subie for my zoom-zoom car. I thoroughly enjoyed the laid back cruiser feel the truck had. Plus, the 20r was part of the reason I had wanted one of these trucks in the first place.

One of my main questions at the moment is: what's the latest year "r" motor that could be swapped into a second gen? Will any 22r work? Just wondering because of the whole pre84 deal with the hybrid motor.

9. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Well, I found a 20R with about 70k miles on it from a 1980 camper about an hour away. Checked it out this past Saturday and everything looked good. It started right up and ran. The guy selling it offered to help me pull it and drive it to my house for an extra $50, couldn't pass that up. He also had a 5spd tranny that i was considering, but didn't have the coin to justify buying both. Maybe if it's still there in a couple months I'll low ball him.

Unfortunately, I'm having shoulder surgery next week so unless I pay someone to do the swap for me, it likely it won't happen until next spring. In the meantime, I'll be collecting some more parts and dreaming of driving it again. Been waiting on my blocks from BeefedTacos for nearly four months now..