Replacing rag joint with solid disc?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by standardbyker88, Aug 4, 2013.

1. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    So I am going to start replacing my balljoints and tie rod ends soon. Was also going to make sure the steering box is good inside and adjusted to spec. I have been thinking about replacing the rubber rag joint with a solid piece. Basically a thick washer with 4 holes to bolt the column back together.

Other than some vibration, what downsides does anybody see? I think it would eliminate some slop for sure.

2. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    teh rag joint has to stop pegs in it so it wonte be any different in less it's ****ed

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Just replace the rag joint with another rubber piece. The pegs keep the slack at bay so you won't gain anything but vibration in the column.

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Mine isn't worn out, just an idea I had thought of. But I want to get the slop out of the steering. Probably going to add a stabilizer shock like the later trucks had stock.

5. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    don't bother I take my 82's steering damper off so I can go lock to lock faster it doesn't affect it adversely at all compared with my 79 with it still hooked up you need a 12-14 inch wheel it makes a big difference in the way it steers and handles

6. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Used a rag joint eliminator kit on my other car . Night day difference all steering wheel play gone . Goes well with new tie rods or rack .....was just a small metal disk with grade 8 hardware . But took the 17 year old feel right out of the steering
    No vibration that I can tell much better feedback tho

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Ill have to look at my closely. I might just make a metal ring and try it out. I run a 205/40/17 front tire so the stabilizer shock wouldn't be too needed. Just might help mellow the jerkiness of freeway road grooves. I'm narrower than the average grooves so it always yanks me around. Thanks guys.