reliability

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by integra2nr, Sep 14, 2011.

1. integra2nr

integra2nr Member

Truck:
    74 Hilux Long Bed
    What is the reliability of the 20r/22r hybrid engine? what kind of performance does it get?

2. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Reliability----Good, never broke on me yet. I spin it to 7 thousand RPM on the stock short block with no problems...

Power, eh. Its no V8. But moves the truck pretty good.

22R hybrids first run w/ headwork. - YouTube

3. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I broke my 7.5" diff and my automatic. The 22R(E) I have hasn't broken.

Performance? Got torque?

4. Str8Savage

Str8Savage Member

Truck:
    93 DX SingleCab 87 Single Cab Blue LowLux(RIP) 85 HILUX 4x4 87 HILUX ExCab 4x4
    What's the whole big appeal of this head swapp. I've seen it done before correctly and the end result wasn't all that impressive. Yes i know a some what better flowing head that makes for some what higher compression when run as a frankenstein setup. But after all that money spent and headache later it's still a primitive 8 valve single cam setup. Swapping in a newer MPFI motor like a 3RZ or something is way more worth the time and cash i think. Unbeatable reliability too as long as your electrical is on point.

5. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    the point of this thread was about that motor. if he wanted to know about the reliability of other motors i think he would have asked that. The 20r motor was just as badass as the 22r, so mixing the two together should yeild basically the same product. As for bang for the buck performance swaps go this is a good one if ya already have a 20R manifold, if you have to get that as well as side draft carbs its an investment, but not a bad one.

6. integra2nr

integra2nr Member

Truck:
    74 Hilux Long Bed
    so pretty much, its alot of work for not much difference. i've been looking at different ideas for more power but still have the reliability. another thought i've been looking at is making my 20r a carb'd turbo motor. only about 7psi, a bigger carb and probably some minor head work (mild port) and a new cam. or pick up a 22r for that, build it up so can just drop it in, when done. also what about the rear-end, how strong are they and what can swap out for, what fits, etc... prefer a lsd/locker setup, may even build a custom Ford 9" for it. In the end, I want a good performing truck with good mpg thats pretty much indestructible (I don't want any sort of computer or stuff like that). Simple, easy to work on.

7. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    i would do the hybrid motor with dual side drafts, cam and some lower end work over a turbo/carb setup...

8. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    my hybrid can idle 2nd gear dougnuts in a gravel parking lot

9. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    The 20R & 22R motor responds really well to modifications. Rather than do a hybrid, just focus in on what you have and modify it.

Rick