Refresh used engine before installing?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Smugmetal, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    So I picked up a used 20R out of a 1980 camper with 65K miles. I was able to hear it run before being pulled from the truck and it sounded good. Looking at it out of the truck, it's pretty grimey. Didn't see any obviously leaking points in the gaskets, but that doesn't mean they couldn't still be there. I want to clean it up before I stick it back in and was wondering if I might as well replace the major gaskets like valve cover, head, and oil pan since I already have it out and accessible? Or is it probably fine to just leave it, because I know everything already works, and fix it once they do go bad?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    When i picked up my engine i replaced everything on the bottom end except the rotating assembly bearings, rings and rear main seal. Everything else was replaced.

As far as the head, i just replaced the valve stem seals, valve cover gasket, rubber mounts where the studs go thru, pcv, and the splash shield gasket in the valve cover.

Gives me piece of mind now remembering i did all that.

Tuhd The Troll likes this.
  3. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Thanks jetas. That's along the lines of what I was thinking. We'll see how motivated I am when it comes time to install the engine lol

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Once you start on it youll just want to keep going