Redline Gear Oil

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by toy_boy, Nov 14, 2008.

1. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    I have "heard" that this gear oil is great, friends, mechanics, mechanic friends....
    But I've never personally used it, yet.

Has anyone here had any personal experience with this gear oil and can you tell me if you actually noticed a difference with your transmission's performance?

Thanks for your time.

2. Nook

Nook Addict

I run it in both my rigs in the trans, diffs ect. works great and yes I could tell the difference in shifting smoothness.

3. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    I haven't used Redline, but I did change all of my diff and trans oils to synthetic gear oils. Since it is thinner when cold and is "slipperier", it makes a noticeable difference in shifting. Probably the same story with the Redline oil.

Beware though- synthetic oils leak easier too... something to be aware of with older vehicles.

4. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup

5. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    That's right!

Hadn't really thought of that. My transmission doesn't leak so I think I'll give the Redline a shot. Though after further research I am aware that if there's a hidden leak somewhere synthetic oils WILL find it and let me know about it.

Just bought the truck. At the very least I'll find out for sure in what sort of condition all the transmission seals are in.

If I'm lucky, they'll still be fine and the expensive gear oil will help further the life of my tranny. At least that's my goal.