Rear Cab Window

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by toy_boy, Dec 6, 2008.

1. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    I have a "slider" type rear window....

This may sound like a stupid question but did these trucks (79-83') originally come this way, or was it just an option, or did they all originally come with one-piece windows and after some years people just started swapping the one-pieces out?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    some trucks have sliders, i got the slider

3. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    my 79 came with a slider, i'm going to enlarge the opening to fit in a 84-88 window.

4. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    As far as I know, the earlier year Toyota trucks all had solid windows & were changed out by the owners reasons. I dont believe it was till the 4th or 5th generation that you could choose one - not 100% thou'. My 87' had an aftermarket slider and I just had to get rid of it, I so like the new one thou. Find yourself a solid in my opinion. Sliders are only good for theives to break in your ride ( cause we all know they never shut right ) and to throw your trash in the bed. . . If you want air movement ( like some people think/like/need - get a sunroof ) Solid seems to be the new thing in ALL the minis lately Ive seen . . .

[​IMG]

5. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    I, too, prefer the one-piece. So much so that I started to leave my name and number on similar trucks which had one-piece windows, offering a trade.

BOTH Toyota owners want to trade! Only one of them is willing to pay to have their own install, while the other wants to trade, but wants ME to pay for the swap.

Grant it these guys are not of the same clothe as all of us and have no interest in making their trucks look good or run faster. I could tell they were all true work trucks and work trucks only.

Anyhow, it just had me thinking about whether or not these sliders were factory issued or not. Was also considering hunting down a low cost one piece and just selling my slider.

Thanks for all your responses guys. Helpful as usual. :)

6. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i think the sliders are factory installed, everyone i've seen have been identical, i can't imagine that everyone bought them from the same aftermarket manufacturer.

7. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    ...has anyone broken a window off one of their sliders before?

What did it cost you to replace it?

Found a guy pretty much giving away a complete slider but it had a broken panel. Not the "fixed" windows on each end, but the slider that had the latch attached to it.

Was wondering if it was worth fixing and turning around to sell it to add the funds to the "truck fund" :)

8. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    the slider window was a factory option, the base truck came with the solid glass.

SR5 only had the slider.

they are SUPER easy to pop in and out, take 5min the first time.

use a flat head screw driver to push the grommet towards the window from the inside of the cab. stay between the rubber and the paint and start from a corner. you just fold the rubber over the lip a lil bit then push on the window lightly, the gasket will fold over the lip real easy with a lil help from a screw driver.

installation is reverse.

spray the gasket and lip with a soapy solution, simple green, ect. put a small thin (12ga max) nylon string in the gasket where the lip goes with both ends meeting in a corner with at least 6in left over on both ends.

take the window, gasket, string and put into the frame from the bed side, have a assistant go inside the cab and pull the string from both ends at the same time while you lightly push. the gasket will fold over the lip real easy then you just massage the gasket to make it even for no leaks.

i have done this by myself with about 3-4ft extra string on each end so i could push and pull at the same time.

9. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I got a one piece replacement glass from Tap Recycling,$75.
    New glass runs around $300:cool:

10. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    I remember someone selling one here awhile back....

11. Megaglow_Z

Megaglow_Z Addict

Truck:
    81 long-bed goodness
    You cannot fix a slider with a broken panel. by the time you order a piece of tempered "take to a glass shop, make pattern, order it" its not worth it,
    + they have a slight curve to them and your not going to find anywhere that will do that.

I just made mine out of 1/4 grey laminated. the curve in the window is so slight, that the gasket will form to it. just have to be careful your seat does not push hard into it as it will break it. I'm going to order one out of grey light 100, that is = to privacy glass. will be flat and not curved, but it wont break near as easy.

I'm am auto glass tech, and for some reason, I cannot order a solid glass for my 81 through the shop, its not available. I only can get sliders. The one i made only cost me 7$...lol

Your best bet if you want a solid is find a used one, or have one made as a glass shop.

After i get mine done, if there is demand for them, i can order for you guys. but they wont be cheap with having them made and shipping. I'm guessing around 150$ to 200$.

12. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Now I've got the b***S to try this on my own. :)

13. Megaglow_Z

Megaglow_Z Addict

Truck:
    81 long-bed goodness
    only revision i would make to that is have the rope meet in the middle bottom, and over lap past each other 1-2 inches. tape the rest to the glass so its out of way.

make sure it does not shift in the hole while you work. it can be a PITA if it gets off center.make sure you hold it still and have it centered when you start.

And we always use spray silicone on the rubber, but glass cleaner or what he used works fine as well :)

14. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    thats how i've done it, string in center, and silicone spray

15. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    i find the corner is easiest to get started.

but with any "macguyvering" the user always finds whats best for them.

btw i was selling the solid glass, and now it is sold, as soon as i find the time to get a shipping quote.

16. Megaglow_Z

Megaglow_Z Addict

Truck:
    81 long-bed goodness
    Ya, people will find what is easiest.
    Ive been an autoglass guy for almost 16 years now, so i have it down pretty well now....lol

17. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:

Me 2, I paid $60 w/shipping for mine then tinted it . . . Im searching for you man . . .

18. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    I checked with Tap, they didn't have anything that would fit my truck. BUT....I did finally track one down from a guy who was parting out his 83' and the flawless one-piece rear window was one of the few things he had left.

$45.......and that included the rubber weather stripping. :)

I really dislike my slider. Will try and swap it out tomorrow. If it wasn't so late and cold, I'd be out there now trying to use (ShoNuff's) one-man-push-pull method. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  19. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    . . . that method is easy as cheese whiz in the can, works great . . .

20. Megaglow_Z

Megaglow_Z Addict

Truck:
    81 long-bed goodness
    one more thing....

When you do it, park the truck in the sun/garage/shop anywhere you can get it as warm as possible!
    Its helps ALOT!!!