R series to 7m swap FAQ

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by celica_fanatic, Dec 25, 2013.

1. celica_fanatic

celica_fanatic Member

Truck:
    '75 and '78 Hilux
    I'm going to go ahead and start this thread now so I can update it as I go. I've done this in a few other R series vehicles, and it's always the same, but this is my first truck swap. I'll update as I go, so I can cover all of the steps. This will be a 7m/W58 swap. This will be identical between 7mge/gte, all except a few wires and intercooler stuff. I can't really cover all of that, being as piping/ intercooler will vary based on your vehicle of choice. If you use a R154, it'll differ too. You'll have to hammer the trans tunnel because the trans is bigger, and you'll have to make a crossmember. This is in a RN28. I used a mkIII Supra W58, so my floor hole didn't line up. The shifter sits further back in a mkIII. If you used a '82-'85 Supra/Celica trans, it would fall right in place like it was meant to be there.

Day 1. Needed: 5mge engine mounts, your R series truck mounts. Obviously 7m and trans. If your truck is lowered you'll have to put it on jackstands or lift it some other way, because your trans tail shaft is going to have to go pretty low.

[​IMG]

I ran into a few issues. You'll have to remove your crank pulley, if not you'll smack your radiator support. If you don't remove it, it's not going in. The head will be on the firewall at the same time. I have (If I'm lucky) 3/4'' between the head and firewall. In this truck I had to remove all EGR equipment, because it was hitting the E-brake cable cover, keeping the drivers mount bolts from bolting up about 1/2''.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for day one. Stay tuned.

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Very cool. Don't forget to port the intake manifold. Any plans for valve cover mods?

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I had an 83 W58 in my 78 I had to cut the cross member and move the center back about 1 1/4" otherwise it was a sweet swap.

For whatever reason I kept the bellhousing, complete clutch with flywheel etc. From my understanding that's what is needed to put a 7m in front of any pre 95 1/2 W series trans. Just as anything its for sale for the right price. :D

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    There are two bellhousing a for w58s. One for an R series motor from the 82-85 celica. And one for the M series from a 82-86 celica supra. Same at the trans but not at the motor. You do have a semi rare bell tho since its the only way to put a W58 behind a 20/22r.

And yeah the mount pad is in a diff spot for a 58 vs 50/52/56/ect. Same overall length and shifter location. That can be tweaked by changing tail sections tho to fit where the floor hole is, or where you want the new hole to be on custom builds.

5. celica_fanatic

celica_fanatic Member

Truck:
    '75 and '78 Hilux
    Their are actually 3 W58 bellhousings, the R series, M series, and JZ series that came in the mkIV 2jzge Supra. Other than that though you're correct though.

6. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I forgot non turbo 4th gen supras still had a w58. Some is300s got them behind 2jzs too. Damn Toyota catalog pages aren't organized in my brain files :lol:

7. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Is there anymore to add to this yet?

8. celica_fanatic

celica_fanatic Member

Truck:
    '75 and '78 Hilux
    At the moment no, here in Georgia it's been 22 or so degrees the past week, so I haven't been playing with it too much. I'm going to order a few more parts for the 7m before I continue. I received my OEM headgasket not too long ago, so now I need to get my ARP studs and I'll be moving forward.

9. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Dang, I was hoping there would be more :D I have a '73 Hilux they I've been looking into swaps for and was curious how much there was to the wiring. I mostly have been looking at 22R or 4age swaps because they can both be carbuereted instead of running an ECU. Standardbyker88 was saying some swaps only need a couple wires for them to work.

10. celica_fanatic

celica_fanatic Member

Truck:
    '75 and '78 Hilux
    Yeah, this requires around 5 before you can hear it run, over half of them are switch hots. 2 or 3 more for your cluster. Most of them you can tap into your switch wires in the start positions and power them up. (Coil, ignitor, ecu.)

11. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    What is the weight difference between the two engines?

12. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Fully dressed 22re is about 320 lbs. in street form without emissions and a header about 275. M series is about 100lbs more plus turbo gear. Not too bad off a diff really.

13. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    I like the idea of the 7M but I would like to keep the front close to the same weight. As for power the 18RC just isn't cutting it, of course neither is the four speed.

14. L3GACY

L3GACY Enthusiast

Truck:
    1993 ExCab
    did you ever finish up doing the rest of the swap?