questions

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by pig rig, Jan 1, 2010.

1. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

well I finely bought me a 88 toyota pu 2wd (of course) any ways I cant go get it untill monday or tuesday but I'd like to order up some wheels. I think I'll just run 15" so here's my first ?
    how much back space can I get?
    what did these trucks come with for stock tire size
    and is the lug pattron 5 on 4.5 or 4.75 (I cant remember)
    last for right now
    did toyota have a std rear gear on the 22r 5spd trucks with the sr5 package if so what is it

2. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    The lug pattern is 5x4.5 an I forget the orignal tire size

3. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    the common 5 speed rear end is 4.10s. alot also came with 3.90. and ive even seen a few 4.30s.

the stock rim size from 75-95 is a 14x5" rim with a 195/75/14 tire. some have 195/70s or 205/70s though from previous owners making slight changes. i run on my 78 a 195/65/14 and a 195/70/14 combo. ill change the back to a 215/65/14 or a 235/60/14 when it comes time for new tires out back. and i widen the stock style rims. i have 3 extras to cut up and play with. anyways...

lug pattern is 5x4.5" / 5x114.3mm. the new charger/300/magnum has 5x115mm but alot of guys use them anyways with a lugnut that has a larger shoulder to make up for the smaller stud. those cars have larger lug studs, therefore you need to make it up with new larger studs or easier...larger lug nuts.

backspace (assuming to tuck with 2wd fenders, for arguments sake) depends on the wheel width. and to an extent tire size. obviously if you ran a 6" wide rim, but had 255 tires on there, the tire will hit the fender lip even though the rim clears. but a nicely matched set without too much buldge will factor correctly to these figures. but if you dont plan to tuck, you could run 10-20mm less for a nice stance look. and these are just starting points, they may be off a few mm either way for your exact height and tiresize.
    7" ~ +30-35
    7.5" ~ +35-40
    8" ~ +40-45
    8.5" +45 and up

if you decided you want to run a deeper rear dish (less offset/more lip) you could run the rear end from an older truck. it will bolt in, but leaf spring perch locations/widths may need to be adjusted by cutting and rewelding them. heres those
    73-78 ~ 53"
    79-83 ~ 55"
    84-88 ~ 57"
    89-95 ~ 58.5"
    95-04 ~ 60"

one more side note for rims, with a 15 if you try to get too wide and tucked in, it may cause problems when steering by hitting suspension components or by hitting the inner fenders.

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    and since i know alot of 15s are still sold by the backspace numbers and not offset, here is a chart that converts them by rim width

[​IMG]

5. standardbyker88

Truck:
    now somebody sticky this :D

6. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

thanks now that I'm looking at wheels I'm about half temped to run 16 or maybe 18's
    but after haven the dually set next to it I know I wont be putting 22's on it
    Fing donk:silly:

hey standardby I think I talked with you at the lowdown last spring

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    i didnt make it to lowdown. i was at the PSTOC show in tacoma and at sittin pretti this summer though. 16s work nicely too. mustang wheels are common, lexus IS300 17s look nice, the 300/charger/magnum wheels, i ran ford probes on mine for a while...theres alot to be had running stock wheels from stuff. the RSX 17s are nice and tuck well. the 5 lug preludes have the same pattern. S2000s. theres alot with that pattern and nice wheels. might be able to find a good deal on stuff from a compact/sports car with tires on already since they run about the same height tires a mini truck does. or a set from a larger car that needs tires since youd have to buy them anyways and people have a harder time selling wheels that need tires

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    i have photos of the ford probe wheels on mine, and theres a guy here with an 89-95 thats light blue with the same wheels.

9. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

all I'm going to say is HOLLY HELL there's a lot of toyota parts on craigslist here in seattle and bellingham:waytogo:

10. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    lol

Alright, to be model specific in my experience....

1994 Xcab DLX has 205/75/R14's wrapping 14x6" tires. offset is 38mm i believe

11. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    really wide 18's. :D

12. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    18's and anything bigger is so 2009........ its all about goin back to minitruckin' status........ 16's or smaller :D

13. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

so 13" 100 spoke daytons are all the rage

hows border patrol going to know who's illeagl and who's a minitrucker

14. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    easy........ keep the lawn mower out of the bed.... :ROFL:

honestly, im thinking about havin a spare set of 14's made (14x8 or 9 wide)

steelies would be cool but they are heavier than a good aluminum wheel....

15 or 16x8 aluminum off road wheels are pretty common and fairly available around here so im thinking of picking up a set and painting/powdercoating them black (to look like steelies but without the added weight)

15. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Hahahahaha I'm just a import truck tuner.

16. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

yea i guess your right if you have a big c notch its had to keep the lawn clipping in the bed

17. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

ok before I totally jack my own thread
    I got a chance to run down and pick up my new ride and after about hour of cleaning and tinkering I've got every thing fixed that the prevouse owner thought that made the truck junk
    ok the part about getting down on your knees so you could reach the cluch switch to start it was a pain in the ass so I adjusted the switch so the peddle would hit it :clapping:
    and then he kept saying something about the stereo didn't work all the time. (little tech tip) it helps to have the wires hooked to the speakers:doah:
    and the brakes didn't work very well (little tech tip #2) after installing the master cylinder bleed the brakes to remove ALL the air

ok here's the little problem I'm having the idle wont kick down if I snap the throttle I can get it to come down but not every time and I cant get it to do it at the carb by hand only from the pedle I sprayed the choke with carb cleaner and that seemd to help but only for a little while
    but the choke butterfly is open so its not the choke coming closed is thier a sensor or control valve that works with the throttle that can hang up or something along that line
    AND NOW AFTER I'VE TYPED THIS I'm thinking I sound like one of those people I get mad at that wants every one to diagnos thier problem over the internet.
    so I'll be going and buy'n a book tomorrow:clapping:

18. standardbyker88

Truck:
    the offroad wheel idea is good for a nice wide rim. wide 14s are in my future for the orange truck. i didnt know they had clutch safety switches in these trucks cuz mine have always started without. as fot the carb try a stronger return spring. it did the trick when mine did that

19. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast