question about radiators?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by CUCUY, Aug 16, 2013.

1. CUCUY

CUCUY Enthusiast

Truck:
    '81 SR5 longbed
    what is a direct fit, heavy duty (3 or 4 core) radiator that is a direct swap for an '81 hilux?

thanks!

2. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I doubt there is a direct swap.. you would probably have to make a mount adapter or drill new holes

3. CUCUY

CUCUY Enthusiast

Truck:
    '81 SR5 longbed

i don't have a problem doing that, i love to fabricate stuff and have all the necessary equipment at work :cool:

my current radiator has a wierd looking bottom section that my other toyota didn't, it has a piece that has two hoses going into the lower section. this is the part that worries me, trying to get something that is similar to that so that all my connections will hook up without having to reroute coolant lines.

4. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Two hoses? is one of them a smaller one, like 1 or 1-1/2"?

I found a good site for all aluminum radiators.. Shepherdautoparts.com
    They have a good selection, and look to be decent quality

5. CUCUY

CUCUY Enthusiast

Truck:
    '81 SR5 longbed
    hold on, let me run outside to parking lot and look lol.....seriously, brb...

6. prototypemech

prototypemech Newbie

Truck:
    1985 4runner / 1977 Pickup SR5 LB
    I would be leary about Shepherdautoparts.com. I saw exactly the same website under a different name saying they were located in Torrance, Ca.
    As for radiators, northwestoffroad.com sells a 4-core copper radiator designed for V8 that is a direct fit. Massive surface area. I have one in my V8 4runner and its been through hell and back, including a water-pump smashing into it.

7. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Thanks for the heads up!:waytogo: And also good to know except I want an all aluminum one;)

8. prototypemech

prototypemech Newbie

Truck:
    1985 4runner / 1977 Pickup SR5 LB
    Ahh, I would like an aluminum one also. Let me know if you find one. Ive heard rumor that a 1998ish ford explorer V8 aluminum radiator will fit with some new brackets and hoses. I can't verify it, thou.

9. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Standardbyker suggested a 4 runner radiator, you only have to red rill the bottom holes. Also the v6 version is a bit bigger.

Tomorrow I'm off to the junkyard to do some research;) gonna look at newer Toyota trucks and see if they are a bolt in or how close they are, as well as a 4 runner.. Then I'll order an aluminum one for whatever it is:cool:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  10. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    My junkyard research solidifies Standardbykers statement.. A 91 4runner 3 core radiator will fit in a 77 and 76 (thats what they had at the junkyard). the only mounting hole difference was the bottom hole is about an inch above the stock mount holes.

I dont know if it will work in an 81, but i doubt its much difference..

11. CUCUY

CUCUY Enthusiast

Truck:
    '81 SR5 longbed

sorry, work owned my ass after i came back from being outside :eek:

but to answer your question, yes, it has a small hose that looks like 1 inch or so. the bottom entry into the radiator has a built in tee for the large hose and the small hose.

will the V6 model directly fit the hoses? i'm not worried about having to redrill holes. i'm just worried about the hoses.

12. CUCUY

CUCUY Enthusiast

Truck:
    '81 SR5 longbed
    oh, and apparently i found my coolant leak/smell. i would smell coolant when i would get to work or when i got home from driving. i found a small pin hole on top of radiator by upper hose that was "misting" the coolant causing the smell, but never leaving a puddle or trace. it was driving me crazy trying to find it lol!

so now i am aggresively looking to get the radiator question resolved as i hate having any problem with my truck.

13. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I don't think it will fit the hoses. But you could probably buy or make a mid hose T piece

14. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    If I were you I would not install an aluminum radiator. They look good for show but do not hold up well. I own street rods, customs and my 1983 Toyota truck. All of my engines are high performance units and HP ranges from 300-750. I run a copper / brass 4 core radiator with a Ford Taurus fan setup in all of them and I never have had a failure or over heating problem in any of my vehicles. I know other street rodders who are on their 2nd or third aluminum radiator. Most failures are welds and seam issues. Aluminum radiators do not hold well to vibration or sudden shocks. This is my 2 cents about the subject and again I am old school but I have never sat along side the road with cooling problems in 35+ years.

15. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    No matter what radiator I buy its going to have a rubber mount to lesson the vibration.. I also know people who use aluminum radiators and are doing just fine.. Thanks for the heads up but I'm willing to take a chance

16. CUCUY

CUCUY Enthusiast

Truck:
    '81 SR5 longbed
    i've owned several aluminum radiators in different cars and it all depends on the setup and quality of the item. you get what you pay for comes to mind. most people just bolt them in not realizing they need to have rubber vibration isolators between radiator and mounting structure. but quality radiators actually take a pretty good beating, i know first hand lol. the onle reason i was looking into a aluminum versus copper/brass setup was that it is a little hard to find a 4 core that will fit in with minor modifications. the aluminum one would be direct fit and give great heat dissipation.
    question, what 4 core radiator are you currently running?

yes sir

17. CUCUY

CUCUY Enthusiast

Truck:
    '81 SR5 longbed
    yeah, i'm already getting the stuff to make one here at work. going to make a custom Tee using stainless steel and tig weld it all for maximum durability :cool:

18. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Atleast it's easy to make a T for it..

I wish I had access to a tig machine!! I never tried stainless, and I wasn't to good at aluminum but i loved doing steel.. But now I'm done with school, and don't have access :(

19. CUCUY

CUCUY Enthusiast

Truck:
    '81 SR5 longbed
    pulled this from the Griffin Radiator website (very high quality item by the way, and i have used them before)

[​IMG]

1989-1995 Toyota 4-Runner

TOY-00052
    Core 17.75W 20.75L 1.50T
    1.50" 1row
    TR/BL
    2.4 L4 2 or 4WD

high quality-yes, but still a "1 core" radiator....

going to keep looking....

20. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    I've run a few rads for a V6 4runner, 90-95 era. Drill new lower holes. Relocate the heater hose from the radiator to the engine block at the front cover plate, and extend the lower hose. A mid 80s 4cyl version isn't as massive but doesn't have the radiator hose issue. It's all pretty simple stuff.

Speedway motors also sells universal aluminum rads. All sorts of sizes. They had a hose output combo that would work for a Toyota motor. Not much more than the eBay ones.