possible headgasket leak?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by mikelx5, Mar 19, 2013.

1. mikelx5

mikelx5 Newbie

Truck is a 79 with 22r early. The engine got hot last night was low on fluid so I put in water took almost a gallon. Since then its been running so cold temp sender not picking up really anything. Overflow overflowing too. Truck also suddenly started running rough but intermintently. And it will backfore rarely. I get some smoke looks gray no major sweet smell, has been that way since carb up jet. So might be reason for most of smoke. Any help would be great.

2. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Pull your plugs and look for clean spots or a plug that's a lot cleaner than the rest u won't get a sweet smell with mostly water in the system but from what your describing its possible its on its way out also high mileage heads can corrode and weep coolant int the cylinders . But check your plugs and check your oil for milky brown look as well

3. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    definitely check your plugs and your oil and do a compression test they have a tester gauge at harbor freight and your looking for steam not so much smoke

4. mikelx5

mikelx5 Newbie

Im gonna check plugs tomarrow compression is good 130 on 2 and 140 on others been watching the oil no change as of yet but any idea on the cold temp thing

5. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    another backyard test for a blown HG is open your radiator cap and rev the engine and if water come gushing out through there then you have a blown HG.It's getting back pressure from the leak.

6. mikelx5

mikelx5 Newbie

It doesn't gush but bubbles don't stop either and overflow is doing just that overflowing

7. jaybee

jaybee Addict

Truck:
    1987 yota truck
    also you should have some smokie tail pipe evertime u turn it on....

8. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    U got a blown gasket or the making of one . If its the original head I'd have it checked or decked if its warped . Head gaskets are fairly easy just make sure your gaskets surfaces are very clean head to block area and I always say use Toyota oem head gasket . But it's up to you I blew threw 2 fel- pros in two months .