Plastic Steering Column piece removal

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by ChOpPeD~N~DROPped, Jun 7, 2008.

1. ChOpPeD~N~DROPped

ChOpPeD~N~DROPped Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Extended cab
    Ok, I was trying to get the ignition switch out of my 77' today so I could take it and have a key made for it. Well I couldn't get the round metal ring off of it that goes around where you put the key in. It's keeping the plastic piece from coming off. Does anyone know how to get that metal ring off?? It's the one that says(Lock,Off,Acc,On,Start) or whatever. Well In the process of attempting to do this I took a very small screw out of the back of the ignition switch and 2 little springs and a copper piece fell out and I doubt I can get it back in like that. As for having the key made, I forgot that the doors are keyed the same so I just took out one of the door locks(helluva lot easier). So Somebody help me please!!!!:D

2. Nook

Nook Addict

Put the key in the ignition, turn it to the first notch, then on the ignition switch cylinder itself, you'll have to look up under the plastic cover, its facing towards you as your sitting in the seat, there is a small spring loaded pin sticking out, depress that pin with a small pointed poker and the switch tumbler should pull out of the column mounted switch and plastic trim piece.

Good luck.

3. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    you can also go to toyota, give them your vin, they will give you the key code for your truck, then go to a locksmith and have a key cut by code viola brand new factory like key!