planning on putting a lift on this summer... help (newb)

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by mntbiker2008, Mar 29, 2007.

1. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    this summer im planning on puting a lift on my truck. here my question.

how big of a lift can i get for around $200-400 without doing any fabrication for mounts? (im not planning on doing any major off roading til i get a new car)

thanks

2. Synyster

Synyster Enthusiast

Truck:
    08 xB and 97 Tacoma std cab
    for a small lift like maybe around 2" you could crank up the torsion bars and throw a set of blocks in the rear. cost is less than $50

3. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    awsum... thats about what im looking for... now here is where i get embarassed... ( im a new driver so i just got into working on my truck and moding it... where will i find this torsion bar?

4. Synyster

Synyster Enthusiast

Truck:
  5. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    awsum! that told me alot! im going to do that and then probably do the 4" lift this summer...

thanks for the help!

6. Synyster

Synyster Enthusiast

Truck:
    no problem ;)

7. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    by the way synyster... how do u like ur tundra? i want one but i no i couldnt afford to keep gas in it.. haha my step dad has an 04 and he loves it

8. Synyster

Synyster Enthusiast

Truck:
    i love my tundra. gas isnt really much of a problem for me anymore. i keep the rpms under about 2500 and get 19-20mpg. gas was bad when i drove 50 miles round trip every day for work. now that i bought a house ALOT closer (6 miles 1 way) i dont worry about keeping the pedal light LOL. now i put about $15 (1/4 tank @ $2.65 a gallon) a week into it. i recently towed a chevy venture minivan on a U-haul trailer (combined weight of about 6200 Lbs) and averaged about 13 mpg with O/D off. truck barely noticed the weight behind it, kept noticing i was creeping upwards of 80-85mph on the highway LOL.

9. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    haha thats pretty good mileage! i find myself putting almost $30 into the tank when its at 1/4 and thats in my pre taco! o well.. its worth it! wat mods have you done to the tundra so far?

10. Synyster

Synyster Enthusiast

Truck:
    $15 only gives me a 1/4 tank. it takes about $65 to fill it from empty.

i havent really done anything to it expect slap a set of 22's on it (they are off it now though) a scion 6 disk cd player with a scion xm unit (allows me to control xm through the radio) i have 3 8" subs sitting in my closet waiting on me to stick under the rear seat and also a pair of 6.5" mid-bass subs sitting in the closet also. basically this is all i am going to do to the tundra as it will be my daily driver and tow truck for the 88 std cab mini i will be building. as you can tell i am a toyota man LOL. the 88 will be my 6th toyota owned, if ya also count the scions i own/owned.

11. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    im trying to find a way to squeeze some subs behind my bench seat... (ive got a std cab) but also be able to slide the seat back all the way if it ever needs to be (im pretty short so ive got the seat up fairly far) im a toyota guy too... only owned this one now but im not gonna buy anything other than a yota... things last forever!

12. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    you cant use blocks in the rear of our trucks because its an under axle setup. if you did it would lower it. so you will have to do either a add-a-leaf, or a lift shackle like i did. here is my truck buildup with before and after pics on Toyota Nation http://toyotanation.com/forum/t182729.html

13. Synyster

Synyster Enthusiast

Truck:
    your truck is a 2wd, his is a 4wd. 2wd are under axle and 4wd are over axle

14. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    where does it say his is 4wd?

15. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    sorry... i just filled my pro. out.. its a 4x4

16. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    one more ?... should i expect to do any cutting or anything when i do end up putting the 4" lift on or should it just bolt up? i found one for $600... its a tough country but again... im not looking to do any surious offroading yet. mainly just for looks and a little bit of fun.

17. Synyster

Synyster Enthusiast

Truck:
    it said it in his introduction thread

18. LightBrightToyota

LightBrightToyota Newbie

Truck:
    1993 Toyota pick up/ 1988 4Runner
    I started out with a Toyota on 35" Mud Terrains running a 3" body lift. Then I did the torsion bars with a 2" rear block for more lift. (You can feel every inch when you lift a truck more) Then I went with a 4" trailmaster suspension lift, 4" rear blocks and 38" tires. It looked great but, I desired more! I had a chance when before I did the 4" trailmaster lift to do a live axle swap (1979-1985 4x4 front axle) and I declined due to the amount of labor to put one in. Now kits to convert it are cheap and available all over the internet. Back then you had to purchase 1985 frame parts from the dealer and weld and hope it held. I didn't know how to weld then either so the 4" IFS lift worked. Anyways the live axle is stronger, stands up to the punishment of big tires better and flexes over the bumps. See with the torsions cranked up and the suspension being so tall the truck was very tippy on any offroad trip and I hated that. If I was to start all over again I would skip any body lifts due to the shifter problems they create in 5 speed toyotas. I would do all suspension lifts from now on. One thing to remember is when you do a lift that are alot of little things that come up that cost alot of money. So budget for a $600.00 another $300.00 to 400.00 for other things that come up like ball joints, alingment bolts that are frozen from rust, longer brake lines, and the list goes on. Do alot of research on the net and consider where you see you truck in 5 years from now. That will help you build now what will not be wasted money if you change your mind later on. Good luck with the truck and feel free to ask any questions. been there, done that with Toyotas.

19. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    thanks man! that really gave me alot of info... i didnt really think about how many things id have to change/extend if i did a lift.. im putting the lift off for a little while until i figure out this problem im having with the truck so until thats fixed the lift is on hold... thanks alot though!

20. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Come on Mntbiker, go into debt about $20k and just straight axle it. This is the one I built and sold to a friend.
    [​IMG]
    Everything on it for the most part, is from Allprooffroad.com. I have a 4wd shop in the family, so part were at cost and I did the work myself. Let us know when you are ready again.....