Pheonix Brake bleeder

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Comrade_Charlie, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    Thinking of picking this up, its the cheapest one, a vaccuum bleeder is like 40 and those dont work, tried them, I like the "close, press, open, close" method but it just doesnt work like I think this would...

What do yall think? Seems like a decent company quality wise, I mean it was on Gears LOL. They had the 400 dollar kit on there.

http://www.brakebleeder.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=16

2. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    ya....im just going just make one of those, screw paying that much

3. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    haha make a write up then... I understand the concept... Just get it to clip on the bleeder, have a pump and just pump it in... I dont want to pay that much either, never thought about making my own. Wish I had rich friends that would buy the 400 dollar one.

I think i have an idea of how to make one now... Thanks for the idea dude, guess im retarded of not thinking of making my own.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  4. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    ya..just pump brake fluid back up into the resevoir....i have a a huge vacume pump thingie that i use to suck brake fluid back from the bleeder screw and its reversable...im gonna suck the resevoir dry and pump fluid back up and try it that way next time....

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=9547&BASE

looks like this, but mine was 25 bucks and has a reverse pump valve switchie thingie, again harbor freight

o ya...beer sorry if my spelling/typing sux making no sense stuff

5. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    Yeah I was thinking along the same lines of that, except just get one from walmart for spraying bug killer or something... hook a pressure gauge too it and what not... all the ones I saw meant for pressurizing the system said not to over pressurize it.

6. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    ya..i dont know about over presurizing it with that thing, imagine how much presure goes into a braking system when you slam on the pedal, do you honestly think something like that tiny pump is going to over do it?

7. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    I think it had something to do with a seal somewhere in the master cylinder... Im not sure though I have not gone to school for this stuff just a hobby... I just know what ive read, but I understand what your saying.

8. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    ya i have heard if you dont take the top off the master and have other calipers of the rotors or the drums off the rear end and compress the caliper you can get the presure to push the pistons out on the loose caliper, but ive never had that happen cause i just remember to take the cap off... :)

9. KYNgsx

KYNgsx Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 2wd
    Bleeding the brakes can be a pretty messy and irritating job without a good tool to do it. Here's the brake bleeder I have:

http://www.unbeatablesale.com/egle221.html?utm_source=froogle4&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=EGLE221

(I got it from a local parts store; that site is what came up when I Googled it.)

I've tried other brake bleeders, and none work as well as this one. It's quick and easy, and doesn't make a mess. Any brake bleeder with a hand pump sucks. The Phoenix one seems a little fishy to me, trying to force air bubbles all the way back through the system and the master cylinder, with a little hand pump. Doesn't sound easy, and doesn't seem like something I would want to spend $80 on. I also would rather suck air out than inject extra air into the system. Brake systems usually have a bleed screw at a high point anyway, so I'm still sucking the air bubbles up and out, not downwards like the Phoenix ad suggests.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  10. linheli

linheli Banned

ya i have heard if you dont take the top off the master and have other calipers of the rotors or the drums off the rear end and compress the caliper you can get the presure to push the pistons out on the loose caliper, but ive never had that happen cause i just remember to take the cap off...

11. linheli

linheli Banned

ya i have heard if you dont take the top off the master and have other calipers of the rotors or the drums off the rear end and compress the caliper you can get the presure to push the pistons out on the loose caliper, but ive never had that happen cause i just remember to take the cap off...

12. 71hans

71hans Member

Truck:
    71 Toyota Hilux
    I am working on bleeding my brake lines on a 71 hilux. When I pump the brake pedal I get pressure but then the pedal sinks back down to the floor and have to repump to get pressure. I replaced the master cylinder and checked the lines for leaks but have found none. Is this normal on these older trucks? Also, I can't get the back wheel brakes to bleed even after replacing the master. Any suggestions on this? What methods do guys use to bleed the brakes on these trucks. I would rather not buy a bleeder.