Parking/Dashlights not working. 1977 Hilux

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by LoganU19, Oct 5, 2020.

1. LoganU19

LoganU19 Newbie

Truck:
    1977 SR5 Longbed
    Recently rebuilt motor and got to the point where absolutely everything on the truck was working. Went to drive tonight and headlights turned on when I pulled switch but nothing else turned on. Brake lights work when pedal is pressed and turn signals/ high beams function. Hazard switch works as well. Going to inspect fuse box in the morning when I have some light but was curious if the pre 80s trucks have a tail light relay somewhere or if a bulb going out would blow the fuse for the tail lights, didn’t see any melted wires but again kind of looking in the dark. Anyone with experience relative to this would be appreciated/ if someone knows if and where the relay would be if it exists.

Thanks and will update as I go.

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Check your grounds. Also, your headlight switch has a rheostat for dimming the dash lights. Turn the knob all the way to the left (counterclockwise) and see if your dash lights now work.

LoganU19 likes this.
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I second checking the grounds. There are very few ground straps on these trucks, every light grounds thru its mounting point.

And im pretty sure the parking light /cluster wiring runs through the headlight switch and possibly the hazard light switch

LoganU19 likes this.
  4. LoganU19

LoganU19 Newbie

Truck:
    1977 SR5 Longbed
    15 amp Tail fuse was popped going to go get more fuses right now but I’m assuming it’s probably more than just the fuse even though the fuse has been in there since the 1990s if not longer. The truck sat in a garage for like 25 years. I’m going to get a new fuse but I would assume I should still clean every ground and connection I can find? Either of you ever have just a fuse pop before? I had that be the case in a 4Runner I had a couple times but that was about 23 years newer than this.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea. Shit happens. Fuses dont last forever, especially those damn tube fuses

6. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    You’ve got a short somewhere. Check the wiring harness near where it enters the rear taillights. Many time the wires can get pinched and cause a short. Unplug the harness by the rear taillights and see if the short goes away. If it does, you’ll know where to start looking.

7. LoganU19

LoganU19 Newbie

Truck:
    1977 SR5 Longbed
    Replaced fuse and voltage reading normal and now all lights work, left them on for like 15 min and no issues. I did clean a couple of grounds that I found and looked at all the wires going into the taillights. Kind of just thinking the 43 year old fuse is was the culprit. Will update if it pops again in the next few days. These trucks are so quirky compared to any Toyota I’ve ever owned. Very love/hate relationship.

8. LoganU19

LoganU19 Newbie

Truck:
    1977 SR5 Longbed
    Not sure if this is related or not but the radio went out a few days before, is the radio on a separate fuse? The light for the radio works but no sound. Would this be related to the fuse or an entirely separate problem?

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Radio is on another fuse