Oil & Timing Chain

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Tomterriffic, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Tomterriffic

Tomterriffic Newbie

I just aquired a 1986 Toyota 4 cylinder 4X4 Turbo. It runs good and sounds good. I am new to all this so I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. It has 130 actual miles on it. The timing chain has never been replaced. It is it safe to drive it or should I replace the timing chain immediately ? I have been told before that if the timing chain goes, it will ruin the engine. Another question I have , It has always had HD oil . Now with 130,000 miles, should I continue HD oil or change to Non Detergent oil. How many miles is considered to be high milage on a toyata like this?

2. Tomterriffic

Tomterriffic Newbie

Correction; the milage is 130,000:meemee:

3. Russian

Russian Member

Do the chain, oil pump and guides. Cheap insurance. Run whatever for oil - I like semi-synth blends, the turbo will probably appreciate full synthetic. High mileage? One of mine has 330K. I consider that high.

4. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Like Russian said a little tune up wouldn't hurt . But don't think your driving a time bomb waiting to blow I've seen toyotas in the high 200s that have never had timing service .so just get a bunch of tune up parts and get u a fresh start on your new purchase . And the turbo motor does like high quality oil more for the turbo life than the motor helps control temps an oil cooler would help to and is cheap insurance but not a must

5. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    The chain is much more likely to saw through the side of the timing chain cover than to fail.

Get the metal backed guides.

6. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Go with a synthetic.
    I'm running 10W-30 full synthetic with a nice, big filter with amazing filtration. Serves me well.

7. Dan Crick

Dan Crick Newbie

Truck:
    1986 SR5 Extracab Turbo
    What filter specifically?
    Thanks