Not A Toytoa But In The Family

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TRUCK ACTION, Apr 14, 2022.

1. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    So of our three cars, a 88 Mini Truck , a 94 Corolla ( with 345,000 miles, engine #2, & our 2013 Lexus RX350
    The Lexus just hit 95,000 & it seems the trans needs to be replaced, along with some other things !
    The dealer cost is a staggering $9,000 plus, the trans is $7,000, & not even new, ( not available)!
    The other parts I can get from a Lexus suppl house online & can install my self.
    We are looking at all are options, one do all the repair, 2 trade her in on a latter year!
    All of which are a big coast to us!

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    $7k for a used transmission?! WTF sounds like you need to get bids somewhere else....or buy the part and DIY, I just looked and saw an RX350 auto trans goes for around $2550 on the Lexus/Toyota dealer parts website

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Shit just find out what other cars use that trans. Toyota uses the same f'n parts in everything. Expand the search

4. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd

Not used, rebuilt, they use the old cases ,all new parts inside, only way you can get these transmissions

5. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Just swap in a manual and never worry about having to change it again. Seriously though, auto-trans don't last as long as manuals, but with proper maintenance and use they can go a good distance. Nissan's CVT is notorious for failing on not perfect maintenance routine, but will go twice as long if oil change intervals are shortened. Driving like my wife helps too. At least you can find people thar rebuild auto transmissions, try to find a shop that rebuilds manuals.

6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

Yeah I don't think you'll find many options for the rx. Especially for one from 2011. You haven't been able to get a manual car from lexus for over 15 years. Everything would be custom/ aftermarket and maybe even a first.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  7. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Staying with the auto trans, it is a 6 speed, ,the car is a 2013.
    The rebuilt trans can only be got though Lexus!
    The maintenance on it is change the trans oil at 60 miles & at 120 miles
    When we bought this SUV in 2016, with 26,000. I changed the the fluids.

8. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 22R Long Bed 5-Speed
    Ouch! Similar issues with my 2006 Kia Sorento; needing a new Valve Cover Gasket(s?) as it hit ~95k on the clock (not sure which side needs it or if it needs two since its a V6) and a new driveshaft slapped in a while back. Seriously, what is with these new cars? Seems like everything major happens as soon as the warranty ends... Thankfully my Saturn and Van just need minor stuff to keep putting around the valley!