Nippondenso A/C mounting?

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by johnfoster, Apr 12, 2020.

1. johnfoster

johnfoster Newbie

Hey all!

I am installing a Nippondenso dealer-aftermarket A/C unit on my ‘78, and could use some guidance on where the unit is usually situated under the glove box, and where it’s two refrigerant lines penetrate the firewall. Does anyone have an installed unit to take a few measurements from?

Thank you in advance!

2. Andrew Driscoll

Andrew Driscoll Newbie

Truck:
    78 longbed SR5
    I can take some pics for you and measurements of what i'm assuming is a factory install. Ill go work on it.. but do you need one measurement specifically?

3. Andrew Driscoll

Andrew Driscoll Newbie

Truck:
    78 longbed SR5
    Ill start with the picture of it mounted under the glovebox. Harder than I thought to upload pics on this site.
    IMG_1322 copy.jpg IMG_1323 copy.jpg
    This next pic shows the two lines coming out of the firewall. the first is about 4.75" and the second is about 5.5" from the side wall of the engine bay.

IMG_1336.jpg

Next is almost 3 inches from the middle of bottom tube to the steel lip above it. The tubes are almost 2 inches apart so its 1 3/8 inch to the lip from the middle of the top tube.

IMG_1337 copy.jpg IMG_1338 copy.jpg
    wide shot..
    IMG_1339 copy.jpg
    other side.. this is in the top right corner when looking under the glove box

IMG_1330 copy.jpg

Drain tube.. IMG_1327 copy.jpg

Probably a good chance I didn't get a measurement for you that you need... Hard to maneuver a measuring tape in there. but let me know if there is something else you need or a different pic of my dirty engine bay haha

4. johnfoster

johnfoster Newbie

Doooood! That’s exactly what I needed! I have that exact unit. There’s a threaded post for mounting the rear of the unit I could use some direction on as well, if you have another minute. I’d forgotten completely about a drain tube!

Thank you so much! You’re my A/C guru now. I’ll keep you posted on this.

As for a dirty engine bay, this brush with a hex shaft fits beautifully in a drill with an extension:
    636E99E1-FFBE-4ED6-ACFE-3C68A25A004B.jpeg

5. johnfoster

johnfoster Newbie

I just checked, and the firewall is pre-dimpled for the locations! It looks like there’s a flat spot more towards the driver for the rear-mount post as well!

4261031F-7074-45A7-82DB-6EADF4F82E58.jpeg

57912C83-6805-4387-8A4D-9BEBA7C7F551.jpeg

6. Andrew Driscoll

Andrew Driscoll Newbie

Truck:
    78 longbed SR5
    That brush is a good idea. I never think about using the drill for cleaning.. hope the mounting works out. Seems like you found the rear post mounting position. Let me know if I need to get you another pic

7. johnfoster

johnfoster Newbie

Thank you! I’ll be sure to keep this thread current!