Newbie question: What grille assembly will fit right in, without heavy modification?

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by funk, Jan 22, 2011.

1. funk

funk Member

New to the forum here, first post.

First of all I have to say how impressed I am at the projects I've seen on here.
    I never realized these trucks actually had a cult following. Very cool. I'm not even sure I remember how I ended up here in the first place, but lo and behold it's been an interesting experience learning about just how much can be done to these trucks to soup them up.

So, my main question:

* My late '89 Toyota 2wd is actually a work truck - long box version, with a canopy. When I acquired it, there was some minor body damage - right side of the front bumper is pushed in, and the right front fender is buckled somewhat.
    Since I'll be replacing the bumper and both fenders anyway, I thought I might go with the same vintage 4x4 or even 4Runner grille and either/or's bumper and valence. I went a little deeper into the site here today and noticed that some of these mods require a bit more advanced work to carry it out - for example... putting a 4Runner grille and lights on a 2wd truck is best done by replacing the support behind it? Requiring welding?
    What 4x4/4Runner grille/lights/bumper/valence, etc will simply fit right in without any further monkeying involved?

2. funk

funk Member

And just to clarify I understand there are quite a few posts on this very topic, but I don't see much regarding easy bolt-in -vs- more advanced work.

3. EFnetOper

EFnetOper Veteran

Truck:
    94 2wd Pickup
    anything from 89-94 (early 95) trucks that has standard halogen headlights fits as far as I know. I have a 92 4wd frontend....

[​IMG]

The 92 4runner requires a different core support (a common swap).

4. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    89-95 2wd grilles will work.

89-91 4WD/4runner grilles will work.

92-95 4WD grilles have a dip in the center, you can put this on your truck, but you'll have to push the bumper down. looks funky. pair it with the 92-95 4wd bumper for a complete assembly.

92-95 4runner grilles will need 92-95 4runner corner lights and radiator support.

Steeler808 likes this.
  5. funk

funk Member

Aha, that's the answer I was looking for. So it's the 4Runners which need the core support changed out.

That still leaves quite a few options/combinations.

Really like this site, and am really loving some of the projects on here!

6. topcop182

topcop182 Addict

Truck:
    1993 single cab 2wd
    I have a 4x4 grill, 2x2 sidemarkers, and 4runner bumper and lower valence with the 4runner turn signals along w the crappy ebay projector headlight houseings, and a TRD emblem.

Attached Files:

Steeler808 likes this.
  7. nvrenufedge

nvrenufedge Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bagged '93 std cab
    You really don't need the radiator support to run the 4runner lights and grille. I've seen alot of guys just trim the original support to fit the headlights.

8. lowest93

lowest93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 toyota standard cab
    thank you, someone had to say it

it will fit, just buy a body saw SISSYS

9. EFnetOper

EFnetOper Veteran

Truck:
    94 2wd Pickup
    No matter what advice someone gives, someone else will say its wrong. Had someone said you just need to drill some new holes to mount the 4runner lights, someone else would have piped up and said "the correct way is to swap the core support"....Can't win.

10. funk

funk Member

Non problem.

At any rate my favorite grille seems to be the '89-91 fwd/4runner. I'll start my collection of parts this week. Fortunately there were so many of all these trucks produced, parts are quite plentiful.

Steeler808 likes this.
  11. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    No you guys are all wrong...

the correct answer is that

IT IS POSSIBLE.
    you either have to drill, cut, or swap :D

Lol amirite?

12. EFnetOper

EFnetOper Veteran

Truck:
    94 2wd Pickup
    D. All of the above.

13. funk

funk Member

I hear ya.
    Just looking for the easiest possible procedure. Drilling, no prob. Welding - uh no, not my bag.

The guy I go to for repairs has a really nice chrome 4x4 bumper sitting in the yard. And another mechanic might have the 89-91 4x4 grille... I'm going in there tomorrow with a short list. I'll have to ask him how much.

Something else I've been wanting to ask... I notice none of you guys seem to have the chrome trim under the wheel wells on your builds. Is is because it's a rust collector, or do they look dumb with the sported up trucks... in other words, are they considered un-sport lol!

14. EFnetOper

EFnetOper Veteran

Truck:
    94 2wd Pickup
    They were kind of popular in the 80s and 90s but not so much anymore. I personally just don't like them. I like mild styles I guess.

15. DionTDE

DionTDE Addict

Truck:
    93 single cab 2wd
    I bought my truck with the 4runner front grill, bumper, and lights on it. If you need some pictures let me know. I have not taken any of the mounting but here is the truck with the front end. I do have clear corner lights and bumper lights i just havent installed them. That is my project along with my carpet and seats.

[​IMG]

16. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    From what I've seen, its a rust collector. I'd probably keep the fenders from the factory in a concealed sealed isolated safehouse on a pedestal. and then grab another set and put whatever chrome trim or fender flares you want on them. One day the world will go to crap and they will demand to make molds of factory perfection fenders... and you will have them.

Lol :rolleyes:

Anyway, the chrome trim depends on your preference. Like EF said, it's an 80's to 90's thing, kinda like full window shades, the visors from the 70's and 80's, etc etc. I prefer a cleaner style. Less is more!

Did I talk too much? lol

17. funk

funk Member

The bumper my mechanic has is in really nice shape, and it's been there for a while he says because it wouldn't fit on anyone else's truck... it's got the slight dip in the middle.
    I'm just guessing but isn't that a '92-95 bumper?
    How would it go with the '89-91 4wd/4Runner grille and lights? Would there be a noticable gap in between?

I'm still scratching my head as to why it wouldn't fit on anyone's truck...:shrug:

18. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    Im a big fan of my 4wd fenders, grille, and corners, with 2wd bumper and valance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with HIDs now
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  19. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Dang man catching some mean glare from the HIDs. Hope you aimed them down a bit.

20. Steeler808

Steeler808 Newbie

So the 89-91 4runner grille will snap in with no modifications or changing of bumper or corner lights?