New clutch won’t disengage

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Phill, May 11, 2021.

1. Phill

Phill Newbie

I have a 1988 Toyota 22re that I just rebuilt and installed back in the truck. First attempt and it runs fine! I also installed a new flywheel, stage 4 clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throw out bearing - not so successfully. The pedal seems to depress too easily and the clutch does not disengage. I can shift into gear (even when running) but the truck doesn’t move. All worked fine prior to the rebuild and I see the rod moving the fork when the clutch pedal is depressed. What did I do and will I have to pull the transmission to fix it? Thanks for your help.

2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Did you bleed the system?

Perkolator likes this.
  3. Phill

Phill Newbie

No, I didn’t think I needed to as I didn’t open any lines. Is that the likely issue?

4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Could very likely be the issue. It's a hydraulic system, so any air pocket will affect its proper function

5. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Sounds more like clutch doesn't engage when you release the pedal. You shouldn't be able to put it in gear with the engine running without the clutch.

Maybe disk is in backward? The soft pedal at the top of the stroke could be the pressure plate is over-center and not engaging?

Pearce likes this.
  6. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Bad clutch master cylinder, contaminated brake fluid or air in the line. Is the clutch slave cylinder properly adjusted at the fork?
    Start with a total system flush. Using new brake fluid open the reservoir fill cap. Place a drain pan under the slave cylinder. Open the slave bleed and allow all the fluid in the lines to drain, pouring new fluid into the reservoir until you only see new fluid coming out. Close the bleed screw and top off the reservoir. Gravity will do all the work. No need to pump the clutch.
    If that doesn’t work, it’s the master or the slave cylinder that’s bad. Or a bad metal line.

Perkolator likes this.
  7. Phill

Phill Newbie

What would have allowed an air pocket to get in since I didn’t open the lines anywhere? When the pedal is not pushed, the rod is loose against the fork. But if the clutch is not disengaging, doesn’t that mean something is holding it against the flywheel and won’t release? I’m a novice so please excuse me if I don’t understand the function correctly.

8. Phill

Phill Newbie

I don’t think I am explaining it correctly. It seem as though it makes no difference whether I push the clutch pedal or not. I can shift into any gear with the engine running (with or without depressing the pedal)but somehow the clutch seems to be failing to allow the engine to drive the transmission. It is as though the clutch pedal is constantly being pressed down, even when the pedal is released. I can try bleeding the system as you described and hopefully that will correct it. But I can’t understand why it acts as though the clutch is keeping the engine from driving the transmission.

9. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Process of elimination. Start simple and go from there. The clearance between the slave rod and fork should be next to nothing with the clutch pedal at rest. If there’s a large gap that can affect clutch operations. You’ve got to start somewhere. Advice is always worth what you pay for it.

10. Phill

Phill Newbie

I will try the suggestions tomorrow and then share the results. I am dreading that I may have to drop the transmission. So I will try anything else first!

Erwin Merida likes this.
  11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    That's what thinking even though the direction of the clutch seems obvious even for a first timer.

You would of grinded some gears if you would of shifted without the clutch. It's not meshing with the splines of the input shaft at all.

12. Phill

Phill Newbie

So it isn’t meshing with the spline, what can I do to fix it? I used the line up tool to install the clutch. Is it likely I messed that up somehow?

13. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Try pushing on the throw out bearing fork with your hand. If it's easy to move you may have a stuck "anvil"(?), the part the bearing rides on, that could hold the pressure plate in the disengaged position. That is if I read your description right, put it in gear but won't go anywhere.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  14. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    ^^^that or you installed the clutch plate backwards and the in put shaft is not engaging the clutch splines ...?

15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    It being backwards wouldn't mean you couldn't use an aliment tool. If your not seeing anything like the folk giving you problems its probably it. Not worth running it anymore. Push it till you figure out whats up. If the clutch disk was put in backwards it's probably ruined by now.

16. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Installing the clutch disc backwards is not uncommon. That is why some discs are stamped "flywheel side".

Secondly, a backward disc will still mesh with the spline. What happens is the spring mounted, 'floating' hub will hit the flywheel before the disc surface does and so there's no contact between clutch and flywheel faces.

Also, OP says it's a Stage 4 clutch. Does that mean a non-sprung, solid hub? If so, I'm guessing (I've never installed one) that perhaps the spline is offset towards the pressure plate side so if you install it backwards, the spline will be resting against the pilot bearing?

But the fact that OP can row through the gears with the engine running and clutch pedal released is a real stumper. Even a backward clutch should have some drag. The only thing I can think of is that the diaphragm spring in the clutch cover went over-center and the pressure plate isn't even touching the clutch disc...

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Erwin Merida likes this.
  17. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Sounds like the clutch fork is in backwards, it sits on a pivot ball

18. redman

redman Enthusiast

Sorry to say, but it sounds like something is not put together correctly (backwards disc, fork, bearing) something in there is not letting the disc engage with the flywheel. Maybe it's the wrong part for that motor. Air in the line would have the opposite effect and not let it disengage.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  19. Phill

Phill Newbie

Now I can’t check it until tomorrow but I appreciate all the ideas. I think the fork would only fit one way and the clutch was labeled for flywheel side but I must have installed something wrong apparently. I will use all of your suggestions and let you know what I find. I have a feeling it is going to require taking the transmission out to fix it. I hope the clutch isn’t damaged. There is no bad sounds or apparent damage being caused but I don’t really know what to look for. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions and I’ll post as soon as I check it out.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Pull the fork boot off and look thru there and see what movement there is when the clutch is pressed. (With the truck off obviously)