Need help with windshield molding

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Johnny River, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Johnny River

Johnny River Newbie

I'm looking to re-install the chrome molding around my windshield. I purchased a kit of clips for the job. Only problem is, it came with two different types of self-adhesive clips that I can't figure out how to correctly install. Anyone know how to properly install these? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. mckidyl

mckidyl Member

Truck:
    88 Pickup 2wd longbed AT
    I was in the same position as you, about 5 years ago. Ultimately I decided not to use the chrome (actually stainless steel I think) windshield molding. Seems it just traps dirt and moisture underneath and promotes rust. Also, I couldn't figure out how to get it on either! It was nice molding, but I don't miss it.

3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    The trim is stainless & is no longer available from Toyota , I had bought all 8 pieces from our Toyota dealer & my contact there got them for me. Their are special clips that hold the trim on, no kit that I know about. The clips slide into the trim at current points than push into windshield adhesive. that goes into the top & bottom channels.

4. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    I removed the trim a while back to repaint and after seeing how fragile the stainless was and how much leaves and gunk was accumulated under it, i decided to forgoe it. I saw a few people use more rubber windshield sealant and a credit card that had a molding profile cut into it. Run some tape along the windshield and body on either side of the crack, lay down a thick bead, and scrape it down to shaoe with the credit card. I'm planning on doing that myself down the line a bit because switching to just a rubber gasket is too dangerous from what i have heard.