Need Advice for complete rebuild

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Frinzo, Jun 4, 2022.

1. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Hello all,

It's been quite awhile since ive been on this site and I know things have become available for our minis over the years. I have tried to stay in the "basic" know of things but feel I'm way outside that now. I still have my mini but it has been sitting in my garage for a few years (5+) and the wife is getting abit mad.

Quick backstory for questions:
    Before i parked it, i did a complete tear down of the frame and redid it. And its been sitting as a rolling chassis since (Engine and trans installed, but still need to go back thru them)

Need to completly redo, well everything:
    - All Electrical
    - Brake system
    - Fuel System
    - Steering system
    - Engine cooling
    - Interior gauges and defroster
    - Exterior redone

I just plan to use truck as a weekend ride / cruiser. Maybe an autocross event if I want to just have abit of fun.

Questions:
    What would be a good brake upgrade front & rear? This will include the master as i dont wanna run the big as stock one anymore.
    - rear is the 7.5 toyota rear axle

What universal wiring harness?

Fuel system wise, i have a decent plan but will talk with someone about its setup since my engine has to run above 110 octane and i want to try and run e85 as its way easier to find, granted will require probly alot more tuning to use it with my sidedrafts.

I want to start working on it agian a few hrs a week when I can and see if my kids wanna help. Granted where i live i am very limited on the space in my garage and housing is strict. I plan to start ordering parts in a few months so i have time to plan things out.

Sorry for long post.

Thanks in advance.

2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Did it ever run after you installed the drivetrain?!

3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I'll just go over wiring because it's not to bad. With a carbed engine you don't have much to worry about. Most universal harnesses are pretty basic and not complete. I went with with a 12 or 14 circuit setup. I can't remember. You'll have to grab some extra wire in different colors and sizes for stuff like your grounds also wires from switches depending on what all comes with yours. Pretty much all you get is the power wire for each circuit. The turn signal being the only different one with a relay and flasher already setup in most kits. You'll want to pick up some extra relays to have on hand. Some of the kits online say 30 or 40 amps but you find some that come with pigtails that use 16g wire. Not suitable for 40 amps. An industrial grade crimper will be the best for making your terminations but I really recommend soilder seal. Good for the diy guy only doing a few projects. Hard to find anything other then splice style for a decent price tho. I got lucky and found a guy on ebay selling 200 piece sets for 20 dollars and buy 3 get one free deal. Not sure if he's still making them tho.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    Frinzo likes this.
  4. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Frinzo and Erwin Merida like this.
  5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    21 circuit mini EZ wiring is what i used on mine. Also used a bunch of weatherpack connectors and had ordered 8 spools of 18awg wired in different colors. Plus a whole shit ton of terminals. If i were to do it all over id go with a ron francis harness.

Pearce likes this.
  6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Those express fuse blocks look really nice. Now I want to redo my system. Lol

jetas likes this.
  7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Same dude. Ive been tempted to start this truck all over

8. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Since the tear down, no. Unfortunately job change and having a family took priority. Now i have some time coming up and thwe wife said to either work on it or get rid of it. So, ill work on it.

The most i have done with it is towed it behind my Tundra for about 15 miles. Other then that, it was trailered across country twice now.

I dnt want to get rid of it, as i know ill miss it and i look forward to driving it agian.

Thanks for advice so far. Ill look at getting a pre assembled kit and of course the connector kits.