My resto project

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 1radtoy, Apr 26, 2007.

1. 1radtoy

1radtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 SR5 Turbo
    I am starting to upload pics of my truck. As it sits right now it is 60% complete. I have started to disassemble the motor(only because it would be wrong to rebuild it, although it only has 68K) Most of the accessories are going to either be polished or powdercoated. Will keep as original as possible with minor tweaks. More pics coming

2. skip

skip Enthusiast

Truck:
    1992 std cab, 1986 std cab
    any progress?

3. 1radtoy

1radtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 SR5 Turbo
    progress.....well i know from talking to the body man the one hole in the floor that needed to be patched is done. I also know that the bed has been repaired. i have not had time to go see the truck(BIG MISTAKE) but the paint has yet to be applied. I know this because I dont have the money for the paint(LOL) Just for sh*ts and giggles...paint is about $750 for everything using diamont paint which is decent. Glasurit will run just over $1100. I dont know how them econos and maacos do this 300 paint. I will add pics to my gallery

4. 1radtoy

1radtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 SR5 Turbo
    well let me give you an update on my truck. The bodywork has been completed and the truck is in primer and getting block sanded. I am going to paint it Silver like ot was originally. Right now the only dilemma is money to finish the project. I am looking at wheels right now so that i can move it around as the 14's i have will not fit over my big brakes. I wil try to get more pics soon.

5. maxisdrunk

maxisdrunk Newbie

Truck:
    86 single cab
    Diamont is a pretty good paint, I sprayed it for about a year at a shop hear in Tyler. Do you know what clear they are going to spray? We sprayed two lines of diamont. A production, and a baking clear, the baking clear lays out slicker and gives more of a show car apeal. Cant really remember the model #s

6. 1radtoy

1radtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 SR5 Turbo
    Well the The truck is pretty much straight and the bed has been fixed and primered. Now its paint time. I am using either Diamont or Dupont Chromapremier paint. I will shoot three or four coats of clear on top of the base until truck is finished. Just for security against scratches while i finish it

7. grounds671

grounds671 Veteran

Truck:
    1995 pickup std
    where is the pics? i dotn see it:confused: sounds like it must be getting up there and i want to see some pics..LOL

8. Yodaforce

Yodaforce Member

Those $249 paintjobs only include rubbing the car down with scotchbrite, masking it off and spraying cheap paint. If you want the dents, dings, and waves fixed with good paint, it jumps quikly to $1500. But they don't tell you that in the commercials. The commercials are for the ignorant people who just don't know any better.

9. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    MAACO OVER ECONO ! MY 250 paint job turned into 800 but its still the cheap paint. They did and awesome job. just look for my other post. I did my own body work though

10. 1radtoy

1radtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 SR5 Turbo
    paint supplies have been purchased. Truck hopefully will be painted by the end of next week. Then the rebuilding begins. If anyone would like to help the cause i will provide a paypal address for donations(LOL)
    By the way I am using Diamont Paint. Basecoat Clear coat. Painting inside and out, The bottom of the truck has been sprayed with POR15. I will spray 4 coats of clear and the buff the **** out of it. By the way....Laborwise, im into the body for about 70 to 80 hrs of sanding, welding, etc. So when someone tells me 3-4k for a paint job now I understand

The following is next
    DYNAMAT the interior
    New CARPET

NEW BRAKE SYSTEM....I have the 4runner brackets purchased off this website
    , New Brake Booster and Master Cylinder, REAR DISC SET UP already in place

And Finally rebuild the motor and hopefully all should go well...and lets not forget wheels...right now I am going with TSW Nogaros or the PERSOL version of the same. I will get pics soon, I promise

Once done the truck will be up for sale as I am wanting to tackle my Supra

11. ChOpPeD~N~DROPped

ChOpPeD~N~DROPped Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Extended cab
    If you're just going to sell it then why are you going to sink all of this money in to it? I wouldn't put a $3k paint job on something I was gonna turn right around and sell because theres a very good chance that you're not even gonna get the money back that you spent on the paint job much less the money you're spending on everything else. It just seems pretty pointless to me.

12. 1radtoy

1radtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 SR5 Turbo
    I dont think i will sell it once the truck is finished but who knows....As of right now i will probably enjoy it a bit and attend a few shows. So far here is a list of what i have into the truck and i have a ways to go

1987 Turbo SR5 2wd Pickup purchased from Boston with 69k miles. The whole bottom end of the truck was beyond rusted and the bed was shot. Was used strictly to haul 2 Harleys to Daytona and Back and a few trips to the market. Interior is MINT and the motor had so much power that I didnt need to attend to it.

All parts were either purchased new, stripped from other donor vehicles, bought used etc....you guys know the deal

USED FRAME in Mint shape
    Upper Control Arms
    Lower Control Arms
    BELL TECH Lowered Spindles
    BELL TECH Lowered Leaf Springs
    BELL TECH NITRO Shocks
    DOWNEY OFFROAD 28mm Torsion bars
    PROTHANE Urethane Bushings
    NEW OEM Fuel Tank
    NEW OEM STEEL Brake Lines
    NEW OEM Fuel Sender with Walbro 255 FUEL PUMP
    Powder Coated REAR END with ALL NEW OEM internals
    DOWNEY OFFROAD Rear Disc Set Up
    Stainless Brake Lines Front and Rear
    Stainless Steel MAIN FUEL FEED LINE
    DYNAMAT Complete Interior
    NEW ACC Custom Molded Carpet....Better than OEM Replacement
    FACTORY NEW OEM AC KIT....purchased off the internet for $50 WHAT LUCK
    Complete NEW OEM steering parts, Ball Joints, Tie Rods, Centerlink, Idler Arm
    USED BED purchased and shipped from Dallas Texas
    ALL NEW NUTS and BOLTS for Everything on the frame
    New OEM WEATHERSTRIPS for QTR and REAR WINDOW

Completely NEW OEM PAINT JOB using DIAMONT PAINT. Paint Code used was 147 Silver Metallic
    Completely POR'd the bottom of the truck and bed.
    What littel rust was there was fixed with new patches and welded. All body seals were complete resealed with seam sealer

Body is pretty much as straight as it will get. I expect the truck to at least turn some heads when complete, The wheels I am looking at will set it off and the brakes shining through will make the truck stand out.

I have ORIGINAL OEM SR5 Stripes but Im not sure yet if I want them on and Im debating Chrome or Blackout on door handles, Moldings, Bumper and grille
    Not sure of this yet

Engine will defintiely be CLEAN. I have purchased a Flexalite Black Magic Fan, I already have a TRD Clutch Setup, A TRD Boost Guage and an LC Engineering Dual Row Timing Chain Setup. Since the engine only has 70k I dont think I want to mess with it too much. Well thats it for now. I will post pics soon. Im looking forward to finally putting the truck back together after 4 years of collecting parts and just letting it sit.

So do I want to sell it....EVERYTHING HAS IT PRICE and I have a 1984 Supra that could use a 2JZ Turbo setup......WHO KNOWS