My little Yota

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by FiretruckYoda, Mar 14, 2014.

1. FiretruckYoda

FiretruckYoda Member

Truck:
    '86 reg. cab
    Hello everyone,

I'm a new member here and recently came into possession of my first mini truck! Well, it is a 1986 standard cab, short bed. My father bought this truck in 1990 and its been in the family ever since. After my father had it, My uncle did, then he eventually sold it to my grandfather, who has had it since I could remember. Ever since I was little, I have loved this truck and now it is mine :D :clapping: The only issue I had with is was that it was auto ( :p ) but this past weekend, my father and I got some 5 speed swap parts and put it in, so its a fully functional 5 speed now ;) . Also, yesterday, I did the BJ flip (upper and lower), cranked the torsion bars, and put in some blocks. They're just 2 in. blocks, but it looks soo much better. Well, enough of me talking, here's the truck!
    [​IMG]

2. FiretruckYoda

FiretruckYoda Member

Truck:
    '86 reg. cab
    This is how it sits after the blocks and flip and mild torsion adjustment.
    [​IMG]

3. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    85 regular cab longbed 22R
    That is one clean looking 86. Wish my 85 was in that good of condition when I got it.

Always looks better when the fender gap is removed. Good start, any other plans for it?

4. FiretruckYoda

FiretruckYoda Member

Truck:
    '86 reg. cab
    hahaha yea the pictures are very kind. lol its been a work truck ever since it was first bought and its got a lot of scratches and dents lol. but thanks!

yea, I have to get the tranny fixed or swapped again ( 3rd gear and 5th gear make a terrible grinding noise). then get a hold of some 15s. after that, I need some audio haha. There is nothing in the truck, so I've been listening to my phone while I drive haha

5. Gatordrag

Gatordrag Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 Toyota Xtra Cab
    Funny how opinions differ....when I bought my 85 I searched high and low for an Auto with PS and AC .....it gets how down south and Shifting is for the birds LOL
    Nice Truck BTW!

6. bendiesel

bendiesel Member

Truck:
    83 locked and geared and 88 runner mild daily driver
    cool rig!

7. FiretruckYoda

FiretruckYoda Member

Truck:
    '86 reg. cab
    Hahaha thanks everyone :D

8. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

The 5speeds from the 82-86 celica are great. The gearing is longer. Makes if feel more sporty. They bolt right in without any modifications. The 5 speeds from the supra's will work after swapping some shifter parts from the trans you have now the supra trans.

9. FiretruckYoda

FiretruckYoda Member

Truck:
    '86 reg. cab
    If a celiac trans were to be put in, no modification will need to be done to the driveshaft?

10. Under Construction '93

Under Construction '93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Std Pickup
    Truck is super clean dude! Now shave it up and bag it! :cool:

11. FiretruckYoda

FiretruckYoda Member

Truck:
    '86 reg. cab
    hahaha no bags for me (Well not right now).

Just had a glasspack installed today. 18" no name glass pack. Sounds a lot nicer than stock. It's not terrible loud, but has a nicer, deep and more free flowing sound. I really dig it. Plus I can make it pop every now and then ;). might post pics of it tomorrow.

12. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

No mods needed. Straight bolt in.

13. FiretruckYoda

FiretruckYoda Member

Truck:
    '86 reg. cab
    that's interesting. next time I go to the junkyard I have to look for a celica then haha.

14. FiretruckYoda

FiretruckYoda Member

Truck:
    '86 reg. cab
    UPDATE:
    So, thanks to @Zatoh , I got a new tranny. I think it is from a newer truck (possibly early 90's). But anyways, my pops and I got the old one out, [​IMG] and new one in [​IMG] . She runs perfect. There was supposed to be a gear poping issue, but the tranny is just fine. No grinds, no pops, no weird noises. :D. BUUUUUT the tranny is different from my old one, so there needed to be some modification. We needed to cut the hold in the bottom to accommodate the shift lever, so now there is a hole in the floor [​IMG] . haha I can see the road while driving. but that's an easy fix.
    Also, I got around to washing and cleaning the truck up today and this is how she looks now.[​IMG] :clapping:

15. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Yeah,that's the order of business!!!!!!!!!:cool:

16. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    what part of so-cal u in clean toy btw:waytogo:

17. FiretruckYoda

FiretruckYoda Member

Truck:
    '86 reg. cab
    I'm in the Norwalk Downey Santa Fe springs area

18. FiretruckYoda

FiretruckYoda Member

Truck:
    '86 reg. cab
    UPDATE: Well, last Saturday, a couple buddies and I hit up the local junkyard, to look for anything we could use in our trucks. I managed to find an 85 with what looked like a perfect dash!! I was so stoked and pulled it out. Yesterday my pops and I put it in. Now, the actual dash was worse than mine, but I guess the PO installed a cover for it with glue. luckily for me, it matches perfectly with my dash color and with a few screws and more glue, it looks pretty much stock :D pic: [​IMG]

19. FiretruckYoda

FiretruckYoda Member

Truck:
    '86 reg. cab
    UPDATE: yesterday by buddie and I got around to painting my wheels. I got some black plastidip so I can remove it at anytime, if I so choose. Anyway, only took about two cans, and it came out pretty nice. Not bad for 14" steelies haha. PICS: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. FiretruckYoda

FiretruckYoda Member

Truck:
    '86 reg. cab
    Update (verrry late)

Just realized that I never posted another update haha

Anywho...
    Went to the junkyard and found some wheels. I believe they are Ford ranger wheels (I've seen some other users with the same rims). They are 15inch rims. IDK the width or offset. I like them, makes the little yoda look like a muscle truck or something I think. haha. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I got rid of that old nasty vinyl mat and installed a carpet. Took me like six hours, but it is real rewarding every time I get in the truck and see it. Feels nice knowing that I did it all by my lonesome. Also installed a new head unit. It's a Kenwood excelon, has Bluetooth and usb and all that junk. Still needs new speakers all around and a sub, but that will come. [​IMG]

After that, I installed some DJM 4" angled blocks and re-adjusted the torsion bars. Love the look of the truck, but have have some difficulty when hauling stuff. I want to hammer the inner lips of the fenders and see if that fixes the issue. [​IMG]

This was taken a few days ago, and is how it sits right now. [​IMG]

Owen Branigan likes this.