mirror questions

Discussion in '1984-1988 Pickup Discussion' started by coy, Jan 24, 2020.

1. coy

coy Member

1. how would I go about reducing the vibration on the interior mirror? I don't remember the vibrations being so bad, its like I have subs.

2. anyone have F1 style mirrors on? I don't like the big, dumbo ear mirrors. I only have the driver's side (passenger was optional) and I would like to get a new set. ive only seen one other truck this gen that uses them. I don't want to get an OEM or OEM styled one and then change them again later so I don't have to redo the holes on the passenger side.

2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    For the vibrations, is that vibration from the engine or from road chatter? Former could be motor mounts, latter could be suspension. Could also be the mirror getting old.

3. coy

coy Member

its from road chatter

i was missing the mirror so I bought a new aftermarket one online. the switch already broke when I got it so I took the mirror mount and mirror off and screwed it into the the OEM base. theres a tightening screw behind the mirror to the mount and ive tightened it really snug. I was thinking of putting some double-sided foam tape between the base and mirror mount to see if that will help.

everything is snug tightly.

4. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

..and it still vibrates?

5. coy

coy Member

yeah. didn't put the foam tape yet. ill see if that helps dampen the vibrations

6. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Is it vibrating at the base or the mirror on it's arm...mine vibes as well. I think ppl run mirrors out of different vehicles because the reproduction mirrors are junk. Have read on here about mirror swaps, tho I don't have much imput.

Might look into other options. Don't expect the tape to do much, there's still a screw to transfer vibrations. A lot of the mirror movement I get is because the mirror is not holding on to the arm, it's supported by, well..

7. coy

coy Member

yeah. that's what i was thinking. but i snugged the tightening screw pretty damn good. if i go any more, i feel like I'm going to break it

_Quickfox likes this.
  8. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

9. coy

coy Member

my dad did have those 5 panel mirrors in the truck at one time