Madi's Project

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by ASI H8, Dec 9, 2021.

1. ASI H8

ASI H8 Newbie

Truck:
    69 FJ40, 85 2wd X-Cab (Madi's Project), 88 2wd Reg Cab, 00 4Runner Limited
    The end state of this project is a fun little truck my children can use through high school. After they are done with it, the wife and I will be rolling around the nation in it. I'm not super savvy with posting pictures. I'll get my son to help me with that.

I intend to pull the engine, trans from the 4Runner and stuff it into the 85 with a SAS.

What I have to work with:

1985 2wd x-cab ($350) (147K Miles): Starts, Runs, doesn't drive but that's ok. All the lights, switches, dials, knobs work except for the horn. Again, that's ok.

2000 4Runner Limited ($500) (247K Miles): Starts, Runs, and Drives. It shifts through the gears fine. T-Case functions great. Rear Locker works great and has the 4.30 R&P. It is rusted beyond repair so it will donate all it can.

I have sourced a factory mini front axle housing that has the reinforcing truss and control arm. Now I need to fill it. I was thinking of using a front third from a FJ80. My assumed issues is that the LC R&P is 4.10. I have owned a 97 FJ80 in the past but never messed with the R&P. I have had a person tell me "FJ80 LCs were factory 4.30 R&P." If that is the case, GREAT!!!!. If it isn't a 4.30, no worries. Nitro makes a 4.30 R&P for the reverse cut for the third.

Big thoughts on how right now:
    Front end leaf springs
    T-case from LH to RH in order to accommodate the solid front Toyota axle.
    Axle widths.

I know I'll have a ton of questions as this grows. For my first question, What the heck am I thinking????? I'll do my best to search first before posting questions.

If anyone has converted an 85 2wd to 4wd SAS please reach out. Also, if anyone has stuffed a 3.4 with auto into an 85, again, please reach out.

Thanks

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. ASI H8

ASI H8 Newbie

Truck:
    Did some reading and found that I can do an IFS hub swap on the front axle and pick up about three inches. If I do an IFS hub swap, I could use the 2000 complete rear under the truck. Yes, I would have to cut off some brackets and wield on perches for leaf springs. I'd also have to adapt the E-Brake.

Just wondering if anyone has before and after pictures of doing an IFS hub swap with the same wheels and tires?

3. ASI H8

ASI H8 Newbie

Truck:
    On an unrelated project, I'm having a fuel pick up issue in the tank. I'm guessing I could have the same issue with my 1985. I'll attempt to clean up the tank and use lessons learned for this project. If I need to replace the tank in my 85, I have seen two capacities available, 17 and 19 gallons. I'm guessing with the X-tra Cab I should nee the 19 gallon tank, correct?

I think I found a pickup assembly, 1985 Toyota Truck Tube sub-assembly, fuel tank suction. Efi, cbr, interior - 7720335361 - Genuine Toyota Part TUBE SUB-ASSEMBLY, FUEL TANK SUCTION PN:7720335361

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    You might be right on the tank capacity. Longer wheelbase would allow for a longer tank between axles. Take the sender unit out of the tank and make sure it's not broken/torn/bent. Also check all lines to/from.

5. ASI H8

ASI H8 Newbie

Truck:
    Today, I was able to run the 85 from fuel in the tank. GREAT NEWS!!
    On the other project, I broke two (in the middle) of the six bolts that hold the tank. I stopped there and started soaking the other four in JB 80. Grrrrrrrrr
    Wednesday is a long work day. Back at it Thursday.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  6. ASI H8

ASI H8 Newbie

Truck:
    Back to Madi's Build by reading a ton of other information. Found Pietro's Project Ol Blue 2WD SAS on Pirate, Project Ol' Blue 2WD SAS | Pirate 4x4. It had a ton of great information on it. For some reason the pictures would not load for me. I spent the entire day reading. Wife isn't happy about that. Looks like I'm in the doghouse.

7. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed