Lowering the front 85' pickup

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Kat, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Kat

Kat Newbie

Hey guys. So I got the materials to drop the rear end of my 85 pickup 4 inches but I need to know how to cheaply lower the front. I've looked and it's only a strut so no spring to cut hahaha not saying I would. But I need to know how to cheap and easy lower the front. Without spending an arm and a leg for the kit. Any ideas?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
  3. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    I copied this and tried to attach the photos to the relevant notes. I made a pdf for it so hopefully we don't lose these pics.

It is the exact post from above but with the re-uploaded pictures. Unfortunately I don't think they were all uploaded. So it is currently the best we have atm.

Attached Files:

4. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Cheap way is to do the re-key for the torsions. Next best thing is to do either spindles or LCA. I would atleast get either the spindles or LCA as this a lot better than just a re-key.

5. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I drove my 88 ( same set up ) static dropped for 4 year an till I bagged it!
    Dropped spindles & turned down torsion bars & at the rear 2" dropped leafs with 2" angled blocks!
    With 4 '' drop at the rear the 3rd member will hit the frame,I went ahead & installed a 8'' notch,as was going to bags soon!

6. Kat

Kat Newbie

Okay cause i got the stuff to lower the back 4 inches and someone told me to take out the middle leaf and it would be fine. And until I have $300 for the kit for the front I'll just have to suffice for the torsion bar set up. I don't care about ride quality. My friends car is an inch above the floor and his oil pan and gas tank sit on the floor. Don't know how he does it but he does and my other car has cut springs but still rides like a Cadillac unfortunate I blew the motor and needed a car while I rebuild it. And a lot of people I know have mini tucks and I wanted to get in the game!!

7. Kat

Kat Newbie

How do you re-key it?

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Follow the link. The "key" is the part the torsion bar sits in that needs to be adjusted. Guna have to get up under there to see exactly what it is

9. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    I rode around with my torsions loosed for years, if you go this route, I would recommend to at least get smaller bump stops for the front.

10. Kat

Kat Newbie

Okay I'm new to the whole truck thing so bump stops? And I also don't know where the torsion bars are or what they look like or what you mean by re key it... So this will be fun today and I'll be doing all the work today and we'll see how far I get haha

11. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Just read that pdf and look at the pictures. Re-keying it just refers to unbolting the keys, raising the wheels to tuck up into or close to the fenders (while the whole truck is jacked up) and reapplying the keys for the new lowered stance.

This is the key:

[​IMG]

12. mikes87yota

mikes87yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 2WD SR5 "Mojave Edition"
    Also can do a BJ flip on 84-88 front suspension :)