Lowering 86' pickup

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Kramer121, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Kramer121

Kramer121 Newbie

image.jpeg image.jpeg yone! I am new to the pickup truck game and just got myself a beautiful 86' Toyota pickup. All I have done so far is some interior changes including racing seats, harnesses, and a steering wheel. I am now looking to lower it. I would like a solid 2 inch drop but I am not sure how to achieve that. All I know is that I would need blocks in the back. But I have no idea about the front. If you guys have expierence with this, I would appreciate recommendations on what to do and what products to buy!

Justintheegreat and Morris Taco like this.
  2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Crank down the torsion bars , you can also flip the ball joints for a little more drop.
    If you think you may bag this truck at any point than I recommend you change out the front spindle for some Beltech dropped units, that will drop the front 2'' & keep the factory settings correct!
    I first run my 88 static dropped for around a 4 year period, Beltech dropped spindle, 2'' dropped rear springs & 2' angle blocks ( these keep the pinon angled correct)! This much drop at the rear causes the axle to hit the frame ,so at that time I went ahead with a 8'' notch ( is needed when bagging)!

Lower is better handing & looks way better!!

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    You might end up needing smaller tires

4. Kramer121

Kramer121 Newbie

ya I was kinda thinking that. I may just lower it a little with the torsion bars and then do 1inch blocks. I don't want it to rub at all besides when I hit a bump or something.

5. Kramer121

Kramer121 Newbie

Are lowering leaf sprigs nessecary if I want to do a 1in drop. So what if I lowered using the torsion bars and 1 inch blocks. I am just going a better look

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    1" drop wont really make any kind of difference.

7. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Yeah & looks like sitting pretty high & tire side walls are large!!
    Depending on how low you want to go for look & handing may have to change tire size & rim offset to get them inside the fenders!!
    Always more decisions !!

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    What size wheels are those?

9. Kramer121

Kramer121 Newbie

16's

10. Kramer121

Kramer121 Newbie

So I have decide on going with 2 inch blocks. Would I need a taper block or one that is completely flat? Also, what are some good brands to buy? I've seen on other posts that steel is definitely the way to go so I will be going that route. Any help would be good