Looking for advice on selling an 83 Toyota Dolphin with 22RE

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by mk1gti, Feb 11, 2024.

1. mk1gti

mk1gti Newbie

Hello,

I am looking at selling an 83 Toyota Dolphin with 44,000 miles on it.
    Being as it's over forty years old the plywood is delaminating, the rear wheels have surface rust and the weld has failed on the rear bumper, currently held up with a cargo strap.

The engine and transmission are in great shape, belts and hoses and tires all replaced, steering stabilizer shock is worn out so travel on the freeway is not recommended.

It was lived in for around three years or so and is somewhat worn out inside, carpet needs replacing and the owner put a box spring mattress above the driver and passenger compartment, then built in a partial wall, so that probably needs to be removed and replaced. While I had it I had an Ecoflow Delta to use for power, an Iceco refrigerator and LED lights for lighting, all now removed.

I want to sell it as is, I just don't have the money to fix it up due to disability and just want to get it off my hands. I am not expecting a great deal of money for this but would like to get a ballpark figure so I can post appropriately. I am in the Redmond, WA area if it helps.

Thanks, Michael

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Sounds like a parts rig. The engine and transmission have low mileage and will fit any Toyota pickup of the same era.
    You’re looking at maybe $500.00 tops.

3. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Location ? Non registered/emissions ready ? Rusty undercarriage? Pictures of inside and out... All these things should be included to be clear on the conditions and asking price. If it doesn't run on the street, and needs to be towed curves the price downward.. but you still have a couple goodies that make it desirable. There's a few builds on this site that prove their is still a .market for these regardless of condition.

4. mk1gti

mk1gti Newbie

Here's a link for pics.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pKnRGhwtFb1deZg87

undercarriage is fine, It does run fine, will get up to 50+ on backroads just fine and hold that all day. The downside is it was designed and built with 55 mph speed limits in mind, so there's that.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  5. mk1gti

mk1gti Newbie

It's in Redmond WA, just across from Seattle.

6. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Looks like it has the bad rear axle.

Pop the rear hubcap and count the number of lug nuts holding the dual wheels to the axle.

If only 5 lug nuts, the axle is unsafe and would need to be upgraded. 6 lug nuts are what you want to see.

Truck body appears to be in good shape.
    Upgraded axle can run $3-4K, if you can find one.

7. mk1gti

mk1gti Newbie

It's the five bolt axle. It doesn't have a lot of miles on it, I am wondering if that swap can be delayed for awhile?

8. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Mileage has no bearing on the danger of breakage. There was a national recall for this problem.

In a nutshell, Toyota motorhome manufacturers added a second rear wheel to an axle designed for only single rear wheels so as to carry more weight. This caused the axle shafts to flex outboard of the rear wheel bearings. The shafts would break allowing the entire wheel assembly to detach from the vehicle with no prior warning. Very dangerous if your traveling at highway speeds.

Any buyer who’s done their homework will ask about this upgrade. That combined with the other mechanical issues will make for a hard sell.

You might want to join toyotamotorhomes. org. They have an extensive data base on this problem. One of the best motorhome sites online.

In short, drive at your own risk.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    Erwin Merida likes this.
  9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    This truck doesn't seem half bad.. I'm sure a little TLC and you got a nice weekend cruiser. That axle might be a bust!! And it's a 22r vs re. The re would have been ideal for higher elevations. Idk it's thought to put a price on this one..