Kicker subs

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by yota4life, Apr 4, 2010.

1. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    My buddy has 15in kicker cvx an he said he'll sell it to me for 75. I was wondering if these are loud an if I should get it basically. It'll be goin in the yota aswell

2. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    90 single cab bagged and bodied
    adeqete power like 1000watts would sound nice cuz its a 15....depends on ur space if u can fit it

3. yota4life

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    It'll be able to fit nicely in the excab. So in your opinion should I get it

4. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    oh ex cab hell yeah i love kicker they are cheap and loud!

5. yota4life

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    Alright thnx man i'll have to talk to him at work tonight or tomorow

6. nvrenufedge

nvrenufedge Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bagged '93 std cab
    Like he said, it will need alot of space. I haven't liked Kicker in a while cause when I worked at a stereo shop a few years ago over 75% of the warranty stuff that we had was Kicker.

7. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    The price is decent, but the box volume will need to be huge. You can get the same spl with a good 12 or a stellar 10 with way less box volume. They are inexpensive subs with a short Xmax. Spl is all about the volume of air the driver can move, not just the cone area.

8. nvrenufedge

Truck:
    bagged '93 std cab
    So true Litneon, but the CVX is the same as the Solo L7 just in round form.

Yota4life, what kinda sound you lookin for, you want something boomy or tight & accurate? What kinda music do you listen to?

9. yota4life

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    I listen to mostly rap an every now an then some disturbed or korn. I'm lookin for somethin that just hits hard

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    CVX should hit hard. Never heard one personally but ive heard an L5, And if the L5 was loud i can only imagine...

11. yota4life

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    I'm not to concerned with box size it can take up the whole back It wont bug me that's how my last box was. What would sound better sealed or ported

12. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    sealed or ported all depends on how much space u have..people use ported boxes because the box size cannot meet the sub air space needs...people say ports are to go louder but that is wrong...ports are for subs that require alot of air space and the box cannot acommodate that space there fore u have to create a port so air can escape...make sure u tune ur box to proper hrz also to keep the sub lasting longer...like usually they tune boxes to 29-36hz for subs depending on the sub...good luck bro.

13. nvrenufedge

Truck:
    bagged '93 std cab
    Sorry, but I disagree with you on that. Any sub can go in a sealed or ported enclosure. It all depends on what type of sound you want is what box to go with. If you want tight, accurate bass go with a sealed. If you want boomy, loud bass go with a ported. Yes, ported boxes are louder, just less accurate. Ported boxes are bigger, though. I do agree with the tuning of the box. That will make or break the system.

14. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    well everyone has their opinions and thats mine..im no sounds guy like pro types im just a newbie tryna help out...the ported boxstatement that u mentioned is true about the deeper bass etc but if u have a sub that needs more air space than u can aquire with a sealed box then u need a ported for the air to escape because of air ristriction something like that?....idk i forget what the audio guy told me...try ask ur friend who did the set up on ur blow through for the correct answer cuz i may be wrong:brickknock:...

15. nvrenufedge

Truck:
    bagged '93 std cab
    I've been around car audio for about 13 years and I have talked to him about it. Its basicly how I said it. Alot of people go with a sealed box cause they don't have the room to do a ported box. Any sub can go in a sealed or ported enclosure, its just sealed boxes are smaller.

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    yea my friend had an L5 in a 4 cu. ft. ported box and F*CK!!

Sealed is more SQ, Ported is more SPL.

Before u buy the sub make sure it works. If u can listen to it then perfect. If not check the voice coil ohm load.

17. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Alright guys, I have been in the car audio world for quite some time, 15 years or so.

Right now, you are all partly right. We need to work on definitions and "feelings".

A sealed enclosure is typically smaller than a ported enclosure. There are exceptions.
    A sealed enclosure doesn't sound "tighter" than a ported enclosure. "Tightness" is the opposite of "muddy" and is produced by having adequate mids and highs in conjunction with the amount low end the system creates. Try turning everything off but the bass sometime.
    On the same note, a ported enclosure doesn't sound "deeper or boomier".
    A ported box can be tuned to be more efficient, so it can be louder at a particular freq. This extra volume will sound "deeper". It's just the way our ears work, as the volume goes up, a set freq. will sound lower.
    "Boomy" is a function of freq also. Typically it will sound boomy if a ported enclosure is tuned higher. "Boomy" is midbass.

Any enclosure can be designed to sound like any of these catch words- within the limits of the driver.
    Not all drivers can go in either enclosure either...;)

18. 94Yota_05CBR1K

94Yota_05CBR1K Veteran

Truck:
    94 YoTa Mini 2wd
    A 15" Kicker for $75. I'd cash it out quick if it's in good condition and in a box! Hell yea Kickers hit hard. And it's a 15 too. haha... However the 15" C15 Comp Kicker goes pretty cheap. About $78 brand new just the sub. Which model is it? The amp is an important factor as well. Don't settle for a cheap one.

19. yota4life

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    I was told 75 for the sub an box but when I asked him he said 275 so I was told wrong so I'm gonna get 2 crossfire 15s box an amp from a buddy for 200

20. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

Thank you liteneon saves me the witeup... otherwise my only 2 cents is I -personally- like to tune my subs between 140 to 220 hz ... 220 and down... much higher and well my 6x9's are way better for that. lower than 140 is not touched as much.