Itschrisb’s ‘86 Daily build

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by itschrisb, Mar 12, 2021.

1. itschrisb

itschrisb Newbie

Starting this just because I miss forums and am stoked to be working on something again.

Browsing CL one night I stumbled upon a listing with some bad photos and not much of description, reached out to the guy and turned out he was 10 min from me. Met up the next day and made a deal on the truck.

CF1CE099-EFE0-4C5C-947D-C151801B28F3.jpeg 0E39E15D-B87B-4FC7-A9E9-1293AF0DC83E.jpeg A9B7E641-14AB-41EC-BE72-B2C85DA32F3D.jpeg 5630D0F8-BBF8-4736-9D57-BE02A86027C3.jpeg

It’s an ‘86 Pickup 22r 4 spd 250k miles bone stock and I’m the 3rd owner. The guy I got it from did a good amount of maintenance to it and only used it a handful of times for random projects. It was filthy when I got it so I washed, clay barred, buffed and waxed the paint to see what kind of results I could get. After way to long I was surprised to see the paint actually shine up pretty good.

9F72E47B-8080-486A-A636-848BF86C6437.jpeg
    ECEBC495-48E3-41E6-9273-1158486EE684.jpeg

Photos don’t really do it justice but the paint is like glass now and it’s no longer an off-white.

The tires were dry rotted so I found some 185/60/14 Goodyears online and had them mounted the other day.

429510C4-EACA-42F7-A6A1-6FE4E46D2BF0.jpeg
    06E5E7C5-4CDE-428B-87AF-9C2DD64C8229.jpeg

As much as I like the wheels, the smaller tire size doesn’t look that great and it’s also made the highway RPMs too high to drive at a safe speed so I’ll be ditching the 14” and replacing them with a set of 16” Lincoln Town Car wheels.

That’s about it for right now. I have a bunch of new parts waiting to go on. I’ll be ordering drop spindles and blocks to lower it. Continue to clean it up. Overall plan for the truck is a to be a decent daily. I’d love to eventually motor swap it but that won’t be anytime soon. For now I’ll do what I can with the 22r.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I like those wheels. What size tires are on them?

Ivey and itschrisb like this.
  3. itschrisb

itschrisb Newbie

theyre 185/60/14 Goodyears. I like them too, I’ve never really seen anything like them before.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Should check to see if there is a brand stamped on the backside.

and that size tire is fairly close to the factory size

5. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    Really digging the wheels.

itschrisb likes this.
  6. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Those wheels, with a polish maybe some paint.. would be killer! Perfect for some one going looowwww..haha

itschrisb likes this.
  7. itschrisb

itschrisb Newbie

Sorry for the lack of updates I ordered a bunch of parts for the truck and of course half of them didn’t fit. Then I was out of town so I haven’t done much work on the truck. I have a Weber 32/36 and egr delete kit on the way. I should have a better update sometime this week.

For everyone that commented about the wheels, they are growing on me. I think some paint would make them even better. There was no branding or anything on the wheels themselves. Oddly enough I saw another Toyota pickup for sale with the exact same wheels.

jetas likes this.
  8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    They have to have something on the back. Im honestly very curious as to what the are

itschrisb likes this.
  9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    They look period correct..lol I'd rock those on my 93!

itschrisb likes this.
  10. itschrisb

itschrisb Newbie

Getting there on the Weber install. Definitely underestimated how much needed to be removed with the all the emissions junk. Hoping to have it drivable again by tomorrow. Still waiting on a few more exterior parts to come in.

Out of curiosity does anyone know if 14” wheels clear drop spindles?

also does anyone besides LCE make an exhaust kit for these trucks?

7A4207C2-6FB7-4A76-B16C-22F4CD54305E.jpeg 4C478FE6-90BC-4250-A515-E669D37272A1.jpeg

11. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I'm also wondering about clearance one I install the drop spindles..

Hard work always pays off. Take your time and making sure everything goes back together, properly, will be the cherry on top! As for exhaust kits.. I've only seen header kits with mid pipe attachments, unless you're looking for OEM exhaust then your manual has the best part numbers you can get. Other than that you will have to piece the system together. Not as hard as it seems. Have you picked out an air filament?

itschrisb likes this.
  12. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    I bought some cheap headers off Ebay, there are a handful of options LCE is probably the most expensive. I did use their block off plates for EGR valve.

itschrisb likes this.
  13. itschrisb

itschrisb Newbie

do you happen to have a link to the header? I don’t think I could ever justify the price tag of a LCE header given the very small gain, if any, you get from a header.

14. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Have you guys looked into 22reperformance out of Chico Ca? IMHO, they give LCE a run for their money! Maybe not on the engine building side, but they stock A LOT a 20r/22r/22re parts/hardware. There are other brands that work well.. doug thorley, headman, pacesetter, hooker, flowtech..etc you really want something nice, check out the doug thorley tri y headers!

itschrisb likes this.
  15. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    22reperformance doesn't have headers, but they have a wonderful selection of engine parts. I would put one of their engines up against LCE any day.

itschrisb likes this.
  16. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I literally been waiting to see that for a couple years now. 22reperf. Vs LCE. street engine shootout!

itschrisb likes this.
  17. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    @itschrisb , other then the Weber carb, what goodies do you have in store for your truck man?

itschrisb likes this.
  18. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    There are quite a few cheap headers but AFAIK, only LCE and DT headers have CARB E.O. #s. I ended up buying LCE headers because it seemed like DT was quitting the smog legal 22R header business. Everywhere I looked, including the DT website, said they're not in stock and/or next availability unknown. OTOH, none of them had the dreaded "No Longer Available".

In the end though, I decided the LCE were preferable anyway because they use thinner-wall stainless primary tubes which means the interior diameter is SLIGHTLY bigger (although, I know the high temp coating reduces it a little).

itschrisb likes this.
  19. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    That's also something to consider, CARB. I hate them. Lmao. But yes if you want to buy ONE header for the entirety of your ownership, buy a CARB legal unit. I just pay the tech an extra $100 and my emissions are as good as a granny camry! Lol but that's me.

itschrisb likes this.
  20. itschrisb

itschrisb Newbie

Made a little more progress today. Degreased the valve cover and put a new gasket in. Cleaned up more of the engine bay I don’t think it’s literally ever been cleaned before.

I’ll be picking up the intake manifold gasket later today and get that installed. After that I need to order some hardware and stuff to finish the install. I’ve gone from wanting to just get it done to now being patient and doing it how I’d like to.

@Erwin Merida the next thing I wanna do is lower the truck. I wanna do drop spindles in the front and blocks in the rear with some new shocks. After that the truck will probably go on the back burner for a minute while I try and rebuild the transmission for my EF Civic hatch I just picked up.

Long term plans for the truck id like to 5 speed swap it, do a little work to the engine, fix some of the rust issues and just continue to clean it up! I’m moving in 2 months so I anything major will have to wait until after that. I have a tendency to go overboard all at once and never finish projects then sell them so I’m doing my best to go in stages haha

id also love to redo the interior at some point.

8C94219B-27D4-411C-8903-9FDCED1F520C.jpeg

Erwin Merida likes this.