Is this a good HID kit?

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by standardbyker88, May 31, 2013.

1. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    I think I found a good deal on an HID kit on ebay. First off its shipping within the US lol so it won't take forever. My bulbs aren't burnt out yet but the low beams are both crappy parts store bulbs. It would be about 10 bucks for good bulbs. This kit is about 35 shipped. Its a high and low pattern, I have H4 housings already. Is it worth the money, or is there another for about that price? And for color temp, I was thinking 10-12k since they provide lots of options. Heres the ebay link

35W HID Xenon Conversion Kit Slim Ballast Dual Beam H4 2 4300K 6000K 10000K US | eBay

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    People have mixed opinions on ebay kits.... But i bought mine 4-5 years ago off ebay for cheap and its still going strong! had one bulb start turning red after 3 years, so i got a set of replacement hid bulbs off ebay for $15? and still kickin ;)

One thing to consider is the higher the "K" the less you can actually see.... i went with 6k when i first got hids, and it was cool, but after replacing the bulbs with 5k i don't think i would go back, you can see SOOO much more!

3. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    X2 6k and below above you get into ultraviolet light territory and the light becomes penetrating instead of bouncing of the road and objects

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I do have 4 headlights and will keep the stock high beam wired up. I have 6k Xenon H4 non-HIDs in those. I think I'm gonna try the 12k and can swap to some 6s or 8s later since bulbs are cheap. Thanks for the input guys.

5. Barnacles

Barnacles Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 Hilux - 3VZE
    Just curious, what kind of H4 conversion kit did you use for your rig? I've looked into it a couple times and they usually either a) look like cheap junk, or b) are SUPER spendy. I'm looking for neither of those...

6. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Well I ended up in between those traits. Good quality but needed a little work to fit. And they weren't as cheap as H4 housings for say a 7" round or a 7x6" rectangle. I usually spend about $20 shipped for those. My 5-3/4s on the 78 cost about $70 shipped without bulbs. To make them fit I had to cut the core support a bit. The hole in the back for the plug was too small of a circle. I cut square holes since I only had a cutoff handy at the time. The buckets themselves need no work. The new housing is just very deep compared to stock. Wire plugs right in. The housing was too wide to seat into the bucket, so I ground a little of the fiberglass reflector rim down to seat fully. I also had to cut the clamp ring in half at the top to fit around the larger diameter light. They perform great though. I think the look is great. If I was to do it again, I would have ordered from a different source. I got mine from ebay, unknown seller. Summitracing.com has 5-3/4" housings though, and I bet its much high quality. About $25 each I think.

I ordered the HID kit for the outer housings. Got the 10k to be more blueish than purple. Thought it will keep the cops at bay. I plan to order another kit after it arrives, if I like the quality, and install it for the center bulbs and wire a second pair of low beams. Wanna use 2500k acid yellows for those.

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Got the kit today. Installed it into my dodge instead, since the toyota is still MIA. Anyways, the kit was plug and play. No wiring to change. Just install the bulb, plug in the ballast to the H4 socket and turn them on. The lows look like 4300k but the highs are 10,000k. It says to run them on for 10 mins. Maybe the color tone will change. If not, I will email the seller and ask what I got. See if they will swap me bulbs or something. Atleast the truck has good lighting though.

8. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

12K is a formula to blind people so i would not suggest it plus you won't see that much better.. stick with 6 Kelvins... also make sure you adjust the HID to face downward so you won't blind people ... no one likes to be blinded by HID's

9. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I am waiting for dark tonight to adjust them. I decided against the 12s and got 10s. When they go out, ill probably get 8s.

10. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Should've gotten 5k, an actual white that will actually let you see.

all my friend's cars with 6k, 8k, 10k, 12k, I can see better with my sealed beams that have been on my truck for 6+ years.

11. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Good to know. I do accept some compromise of light to have a cool look. And I like the bluish tones while driving. I will get some pics of them on once it gets a little darker out. Its still kinda light out right now, and its 9:30 lol.

Also, the toyota has 4 lights on it. I will wire a second low beam pair circuit. Should help fill in the gaps. I will also put some 4" fog lights after I put a larger alternator.

The dodge has one pair of 7x6"s. I am going to add a set of 6" rounds in the grille soon though. Maybe two pairs. So it should all work out pretty well. I think I will be happy with the results. Ill know when I drive this kit lol

12. topcop182

topcop182 Addict

Truck:
    1993 single cab 2wd
    I have a 6k kit off ebay. I have run for about 3 years, no issues. I made the mistake of not ordering bixeon, so I have no "Bright" or "High Beam" Instead they just turn a really yellow color and go dim.

I plan on making a custom kit though with mishimoto projectors in some housings.

13. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Yeah, these bulbs have a short and long tube. Kinda like 2 bulbs in one. I think thats why the lows are kinda yellow. No big deal. I should be able to get better bulbs later. The highs look sweet.

I have moshimoto ZX tires. Real rare :ROFL:

14. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

Any photos of what they look like at night?

15. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Yeah I'll post them up later. They work pretty nice.

16. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    Which bulb type did you get?

On my 81, I put in the type that which uses a solenoid to pull back the whole bulb vs the flipping deflector type. Lasted about 4 months till a bulb burnt out. Hope your lasts a lot longer

17. standardbyker88

Truck:
    This kind has no flipper. Has 2 bulb glasses. A big and little. They sent me spare bulbs after I complained they're only 10,000k on high beam but 4300k on low beam. H4 bulb fitment for my housings.

18. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I run the DDM high/low beam set, 55 watt bulbs,6,000!
    Very very bright,pure white light & has been working fine for a few years now!!:cool:

19. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

Just keep in mind 4000-4300k is the brightest output. The higher up you go, the light output goes down. I'm assuming the 10k are just for looks?

20. CREETIN247

CREETIN247 Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 Std
    I'm not a fan of the garbage HID kits on Ebay most of the companies selling the kits the ballast is junk and won't last a year! Like TRUCK ACTION said DDM Tuning has the best HID kits for the money!! I've retrofitted kits into my VW Jetta and my ZX6R with DDM kits and picked up used projector lenses at the junk yard from whatever car I could find them on and they've been great!! DON'T buy them from Ebay!!

DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting