Introducing my GT (Grandpa Truck)!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mike1305, Jun 15, 2020.

1. mike1305

mike1305 Newbie

Truck:
    82 SR5 2WD 5MT
    Hey folks! I've been on YotaTech and IH8MUD so far, but this community seems the most active for my gen of truck, with some awesome folks who have already helped me answer stuff!

It's a 1982 SR5 2WD 5MT that my grandfather owned from 1984 to the day he died in 2018. I always loved the thing as a kid, and almost lost it - I was so convinced that one of my uncles would want it, I didn't even bother asking for it (seemed kind of rude at the time anyway), but when I heard he was selling it for $2,000, I had to step in and take ownership. :) Here it is the day I flew to California to pick it up. He wasn't able to drive it for the last 5 or so years of his life, so it got a nice tune up and new tires for the trek back to Colorado.
    [​IMG]

Trip home was largely uneventful except I almost nuked the engine on the way into Albuquerque. Had my headphones in (road noise at 75 is unbearable) and suddenly smoke from the hood... thank god I was able to limp it to the next overpass and get a tow! Water pump took a complete shit on me, thank god I didn't overheat the engine.

Video of not good things happening off I-40: https://i.imgur.com/rJSGJSO.mp4

Having a great time getting a new water pump at Super 6 Tokyo Auto Services. Awesome shop, awesome people!

[​IMG]

Checking out his new surroundings:
    [​IMG]

I haven't touched it yet, aside from a few small things. I got new marker lights since all the plastic housings were literally falling apart, a new dome light, undid some jank wiring for trailer towing, cleaned up the engine bay a bit, and am trying to get the rear bumper off... what a pain in the ass that is, since it's bolted into the frame, which is boxed, rusty, and is just spinning the bolt now.... FML. This thing isn't going to see any towing duty and I wanted to clean up the rear end a bit.

Oh, I also did this, don't @ me:

[​IMG]
    Doesn't fit quite right, but nothing a little dremel action or zip ties won't solve, lol.

I've got a nice list of stuff waiting to ship from Havasu thanks to the kind folks at LCE, who made it really easy to spend a lot of money. I have no idea what I'm doing, and don't even own a jack (yet) tall enough to get my truck in the air lol. Baby steps, or throwing your baby down the stairs? You decide.

[​IMG]

Then some wheels and tires, eventually. the rubber on there now is perfect, and some people are telling me to just paint the wheels, but they are dinky 14x6 rims from a late 70s dodge. I want 15s, and preferably 235s on the front, 255s on the rear, likely on 15x7s or maybe 15x8 on the backs if I get a wild hair up my ass. I think they will fit.... haha. Black soft-8 style, like in my signature (larger version):

[​IMG]

Cheers

Erwin Merida and Perkolator like this.
  2. mike1305

mike1305 Newbie

Truck:
    82 SR5 2WD 5MT
    Christmas in July. I have no idea what I'm doing.
    [​IMG]

Erwin Merida likes this.
  3. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    "Grandpa Truck" LOL I like that. You should try to find a GT badge off of a Celica and stick it on the truck...

Oh, and nice truck!

mike1305 likes this.
  4. Ty Schmidt

Ty Schmidt Newbie

Wow that’s totally worth every penny u put into it!! Keep us posted how your doing

5. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Interested in this build for sure!

6. 1982

1982 Newbie

Truck:
    1982 2WD manual 22R
    How’s your build progressing? Looks way cleaner than my ‘82! And seems like you aren’t too terribly far from me