im gonna burn this damn truck...

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Uranium235, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Uranium235

Uranium235 Member

Truck:
    76 longbed 4 speed
    I bought it with badly grooved rotors. They squealed so loud, I was afraid God was gonna come to earth and tell me to keep the noise down...

So I pulls the wheels off and get to lookin, and see she's got new pads on her. Meaning the previous owner didnt do rotors. No biggie. Ordered rotors and pads, went ahead and put them on, and now the squealing is worse. I am beginning to think the only answer is fire, and copious amounts of it.

I didnt use " the lube " when I put the new pads and rotors on, because everytime I have used that stuff it never worked. So I dont bother wasting my time or money on it anymore.

However, its been approximately 150 miles since the brakes were replaced and they are still squealing, as loud as ever.

Im beginning to wonder if this is some sort of punishment for a bad deed I had done at an earlier point in life... does anyone know an answer? As to what is going on with my #$%^ing brakes?

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I would make sure the calipers are functional... meaning the slides are lubed and the piston isnt getting jammed up...

And then make sure the dust sheild isn't rubbing on the rotor.

Or are we talking about squeeling only when braking?

3. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    ive used the break squeal lube with no issues. how much are you putting on when you said it never worked for you?

4. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Quit buying them cheap ass brake pads.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  5. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    There is stuff called like stop squeak or something that you put on the actually pad face that touches the rotor, it doesn't affect braking or anything but stops the squeak for a long time. Have to apply it again about 1/2 way through the life of the pad.. My dad uses it and it works pretty darn good!

6. Kenstyles

Kenstyles Member

Truck:
    76' sr5, 95' std. cab
    Have you checked your drum brakes? I had a similar problem, but ruled out later that it was my drum brakes that were squealing.

7. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

If you're just going to burn it, I'll have someone stop buy to pick it up. Just sign the back of the title, make out a bill of sale for $1, and leave them both in the glove box.

8. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Wo put the gas can down .... Like yoguyda said .. Lube ...these trucks are old I haven't meet one yet that didn't need some tlc .. Like mentioned remove the caliper lube slide pins with some wheel bearing grease .. Then turn your caliper up and spray some spray lube in and around the piston were the seal slides against the metal ..let it get in there . Even use a little smear of wheel bearing grease on the pistons were it slides on the metal ..you won't hurt anything ..

9. TDS909

TDS909 Veteran

Truck:
    1992 st cab
    Instead of you burning it to the ground, I will take it off your hands,

10. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    i second this option....

pin point the source of the noise... make sure its coming from the front or rear and start your investigation from there..

double check everything... when you pull the wheel, spin the rotor by hand and listen in to see if anything may be making contact that shouldnt, like the heat shield.

there will be "signs" of metal to metal contact if anything is making contact that shouldnt be. double check everything.

have someone inside the truck tap the brakes a little while you spin the rotor by hand and make sure the pads are making good even contact. if not, as suggested above, regrease the slide pins... if they are seized up, chances are you'll snap the pins and curse a storm before they come apart... replace the calipers with new ones.

11. Uranium235

Uranium235 Member

Truck:
    76 longbed 4 speed
    I do appreciate all the feedback guys. i am not going to burn the truck haha...

Im just irritated with it. It has cheap pads on it, because the local parts store only carried El Cheapo for it. I will get in there and grease and lube everything up and see if it helps. Thanks again everyone.

12. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    If you can't get your calipers apart they are only like $30-40 at a parts store, only $18 on rock auto.. Not too pricey..

13. Delta_T

Delta_T Member

A long time ago I had a similar problem. I filed down the edges of the pads and the squeeling was gone. If you are going to apply grease anyway, you might want to try and file off those sharp edges.

While looking for a pictures to explain what I did, I bumped into this article. It might be helpfull too.

14. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    we all get to the point of wanting to burn or blow up a project. just gotta stick with it bruh!

15. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    My hood has knuckle marks from me getting pissed at the engine. Lol. Don't burn it tho.