How to swap in an SR5 Tach cluster 84-88

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by SD YOTA, Jan 7, 2009.

1. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    DISCLAIMER I did not write this article, nor do i take credit for this write up. When searching for the original author's contact info to ask for permission to link his write up, no contact info was found.

This is a tech article i found on the internet written up by an unknown author while searching how to do this modification myself.

In short, this walk through is very helpful and can give you the basic rundown of how to swap in an SR5 tach cluster into your 84-88 year Toyota pickup.

If you have any other questions on how to do this, you may contact me via PM regarding this modification.

Here is the Link....
    http://www.humboldt.edu/~pke1/Truck/

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. BaggedYota90

BaggedYota90 Member

Truck:
    1987 4Runner
    Awesome, I need to get my hands on that gauge cluster...I hate the godzilla speedo...plus I require a tach! :waytogo:

3. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    took me 1 week to figure out how to roll back the odometer counter. this write up just helped on top of pinpointing where the tach wire needs to be hooked up to.

figured its a commonly asked about and constantly done mod so i placed it here.

4. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    God I so needed to see this!!

5. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    see the actual write up or what exactly? :shrug:

6. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    on how to roll the odometer on my sr5 cluster back!

7. Sound.Vision.Soul

Sound.Vision.Soul Toyotaholic

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    Lol i just rolled mine back. Took me about 2 to 3 hours to get it all apart and figure it out. Went from 264 000km to 96 000km!!

8. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    its fairly easy once you got the idea of how everything goes together.

like i said, it took me a week to figure it out. then the other night i was like "oh! ok..."

youll have to take the speedo off by removing the plastic front cover..... then remove the speedo 4 retaining screws from the rear. once you have the speedo off, take the 2 front face tiny screws and loosen them, dont need to remove them entirely, just enough to give you slack. remove the retaining pin that holds the odometer roller and slide that to the left (looking at it from the back of the odometer) then, the roller itself sits on "c" shaped cast portion that you will need to bend open so the pin slides out. once open enough you can slide the pin and roller back far enough to wiggle it out of there. the roller will be out, you'll need the retaining pin to hold your primary numbers and then manually roll back the main 3 numbers (100,xxx) careful to let it spin freely once it rolls the number back. it'll feel like it gets "stuck" but its just clicking inside the roller..... fairly simple. if you want, i can do my own detailed write up on it.

9. BaggedYota90

BaggedYota90 Member

Truck:
    1987 4Runner
    So when hooking up the "gauge" oil pressure switch, does it require a different connector or will the dummy light connector work?

Also is there anything you have to do for the Voltage Gauge or is it plug and play?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  10. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    basically change out your oil pressure sending unit with an sr5 one, then everything is plug and play

11. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    correct. i thought i was going to have to change the plug for the oil press. switch but that was not required.

volt meter does not need anything, just plug n' play.

the oil press. switch is the only "hard" part you need to replace. the tach requires the 1 wire run from the coil to the plug to make the tack work.

thats essentially it.

before you place everything back together, make sure you test out everything before re-installing the cluster and dash. :waytogo:

12. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    That's how they guage RPM's in the shops when the vehicle is not equipped with one, and that's how I installed my aftermarket one, but it has to be on the negative terminal. Now I am thinking that I probably should go for this upgrade later, just need $$$.

13. animoToY808

animoToY808 Newbie

Truck:
    88 $ingle cab 22r
    Just did mine 14,000 miles haha. Half hour. Thanks for the tip. Anyone got an extra wire harness?

14. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    nice! glad this helped out! imma do one more tonight for the sr5 mirror install on the 89-95