how to re-index torsion? 79 sr5

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by motiusclyde, Apr 27, 2018.

1. motiusclyde

motiusclyde Newbie

all the threads talking about lowering the front are missing the photos. any tips for lowering the front? what specifically do people mean when they say re-index? thanks.

2. josealex1636

josealex1636 Veteran

Truck:
    83 Toyota Pickup
    Ive had the same problem when I didnt know anything about torsion bars on mine I took off the top 2 nuts size 22mm I believe and take off the long bolt facing upwards size 22mm as well. Once that long bolt and top 2 nuts are off torsion bar should just pull off but I would mark where its at originally just in case you re key it the wrong way. Mine is slammed from the front Im like literally like 4 to 5 inches off the ground befire the strut rod mounting metal brackets hit the ground. If you go low enough make sure the adjusting bolt is tucked in more because thats the last thing you want breaking off. I was bashed on before on here for asking the same question about re indexing the bars but finally got it down. Thats my personal experience but may have "EXPERIENCED" guys on here. Btw make sure the load is off the front tires.

blackecho101 likes this.
  3. kiwidownunder

kiwidownunder Newbie

Josealex I have a 1980 pickup and I'm currently lowering the front via torsion bars, question for you.
    1. are you riding on the bump stops or did you remove them, and then also cut bracket out?
    2.could you use original shocks, and have enough shock travel?
    3.were you able to achieve a safe lower ball joint angle?