How do I wire gm alt to 1981 Toyota pickup?

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Ryan99, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Ryan99

Ryan99 Newbie

Truck:
    81 yota pickup
    Ok I’m sick of the shitty charging system that came from factory. My charge lights flicker all the time but I have 12.8-13.3 volts. Swear if I touch the voltage regulator it will start to click and charge light will intermittently flash. If I turn on the headlight it will stop but come on randomly.
    literally started to happen after I cleaned terminals. I’m done and just want that clicking to stop and charging back at 14+volts . I’m stumped on what I should check next. I checked the fusible links on the battery terminal and rewired them and it made the problem even worse.

So here’s my dilemma should I run a gm alternator? If so what kind of wiring is involved and do you think it will solve my issue? I’ve been reading about 1 wire and 3 wire and not sure which one I should pick. What’s the price and parts that I need? I work at Autozone so it shouldn’t be that hard to get.

I’ve been reading around and something about 2 wires from the voltage reg and 1 to battery? Could those 2 factory wiring also present an issue or will it cure this carvid19
    Disease.

specs: new 6 wire voltage regulator, shitty new 40amp alty. Also 2-10s subs with a 1000w Sony which is absolutely trash with factory power system. And a eBay digital volt meter soldered to the keyed ignition (thick red wire) and grounded.

Any info on wiring and parts I should get would be greatly appreciated!

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    You’ve got bigger wiring problems than just your alternator. 40 amp is way too small especially considering all the stereo components you’ve installed.
    You might want to consider a separate battery tied into an isolator for your stereo components. Upgrading to a GM might help some, but your asking a lot from a single battery.
    Before going crazy with upgrades temporarily disconnect all stereo components from your system. See if your charging issues go away. A good, well charged battery is a must.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I run a GM 12SI alternator from Quality Power, they also supplied a harness that allowed straight plug in to my connectors. The unit I got is polished billet cased, 100 amps at idle & 160 at 2,000rmp.
    I had already upgraded the wires to the alternator, & I run a Odyssey PC1500 DT ./34/78 battery.
    I have a 1,000 watt stereo set up, electric fan , & air ride with 2 Viair 485 compressors.
    This has proven to work well on my 88 Extra Cab

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    :ROFL::ROFL:Waaaaay too much draw for only 40A alt. I can bet the amp you have has atleast a 30A fuse or multiples. That alone will suck all the juice from the alt instantly if you have it turned up.

I have a 100A GM alt that i already need to upgrade because of my amp and air compressors. As soon as my comps come on my voltage drops to almost 12.5 at idle.