How do I lift my 1982 2wd pickup?

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Joshualaterra, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Joshualaterra

Joshualaterra Newbie

Truck:
    82 dlx shortbed beauty
    I just want it to be a little less gay. I wanna do a lift (no body lifts) then some ruins and snow tires.... Maybe even a locking rear if it doesn't kill gas mileage. I basically want a pre runner. Any help? Thanks

2. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    What kind of budget are you working with? Afew inches of lift will give you some room for 30's. Here's the thing, you gotta be a bit more specific of what you want. You say "i want a pre-runner" I think long travel class 5 truck with a mild $50k bucks dumped into it.

3. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Gay is in dawg, you didnt get the memo? :ROFL:

Good luck lifting your truck, i normally use a 5 ton jack... :verdict_in:

4. Joshualaterra

Joshualaterra Newbie

Truck:
    82 dlx shortbed beauty
    Hahaha! Thanks for the responses! I just want the thing to be as simple as possible. Currently it's too low for the job site. Just want a small lift so it looks like a4x4 but I want it to still give me 30mpg. P.s. It's a2wd... Totally stock and in mint condition! Do I do the leaf springs? Do I need to change the drive shaft?

5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Depending on how high you want to go a simple add a leaf in the rear and a slight twist of the torsion bars will go up an inch or two without any issues. If you want more than that you'll have to start spending a bit of money. Start with ball joint spacers for the front and add in longer shackles to the rear and you can do what you want.

Toyota 2WD/4WD IFS Front Ball Joint Spacers for Pickup, 4Runner and T100

6. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    yea, torsion crank in, possibly a re-key adjustment, add a leaf in the rear...... there is an option to possibly use an air shock to lift it but you would need air support to do it too.

7. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1982 2wd p/u, 1983 toyota trailblazer, 1982 toyota truggy (next, just a cab/frame now)
    rear would be easy to do a u bolt flip to leaf over axle, like the 4x4, then you would be as high in the rear as stock 4x4

rear has the same suspension as 4x4 but leaf under the axle, so any lift springs, or AAL or shackle will work the same. dont know how high you can go with the different drive shaft though. i lift my 4x4 and lower 2wd stuff, but prerunner is that awesome exception

locker wouldnt effect mpg i would guess, just your tires. makes both wheels spin instead of just one. the mpg will get most hurt from the drag on interstate being higher and bigger tires/more unsprung weight stuff. imo

im thinking one of the toy offroad sites would have more info on the front. if we can swap the next gen control arms for lowering, im sure you could adapt some of the pre runner stuff as well. since more market for that year range.

OR SAS that beast. Tons of info, axles and transmission/transfer cases are available, weld on leaf spring kits are easy, then you could wheel it slo n lo