Higher output alt

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by jetas, Oct 29, 2009.

1. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    OK so ive found some sites online that offer high output alts but at a really steep price. Ex. Powermaster 170A for ~$500.

I ask because i know some people have swapped alts from one car into a different model car.

Jus curious as to which if any alts will be a direct replacement to mine. Im guna be installing an amp and sub hopefully in the near future. I just want to avoid having my lights dim and dont want my amp to take a crap cuz it was starved for power.

At most im looking to run 500-750 WRMS. SO im figuring a 100-120A alt should be enough.

Anyone have any input on this topic?

2. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
  3. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Seriously, with that kind of power, buy a good battery. And you will be fine.
    I run a pair of Fusion Audio amps. One is 185w x 4, and a 1200w monoblock. With just an alt with 190k on it and a Yellowtop Optima have had no dimming issues over the last two years.

You might perform the Big Three - Upgrade your alt to batt wire, your alt to chassis wire and your batt to chassis ground wire.
    Although at 500 it is probably not needed.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    WEll honestly from my experience with my last car, 500W made my lights dim ALOT. and the it has an alt with more amps then my truck does.

I do plan on doing the big 3. im guna upgrade all my wiring lil by lil. Along with the battery. I would just like to get a higher output alt in case i want to run more accessories

A GM alt was one that i thought about doing. But id prbably have to fab up a bracket ( idk if the 22RE has the same mounting and the 3VZE)

SO im looking for what could fit in the stock location with MINIMAL modding

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    BUMP!

Anyone??

6. project_DragTruck_v2.0

project_DragTruck_v2.0 Veteran

did you even look at that link? it's a bracket, made to bolt a GM alt to a 22r in the stock location even with power steering! That's great! You can buy GM parts at frickin' KROGER! (almost)

and a steal at only 65 bucks!

You could get the bracket, and a stock alternator from a caddy or something with similar electrical needs (which would be higher output than a stock yota), and be set for the same money.....

call me crazy, but if I can replace a stock part with a performance part, I do it!

7. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Don't forget to up your feed wire & main fuse!!:cool:

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yes i did look at the link. and i also responded to it. and i sed

"( idk if the 22RE has the same mounting and the 3VZE)"

I dont have a 22RE so to make that bracket work in my truck I would need to swap more than just the alt. lol

And as ive said ive thought about a chevy alt. But i would much rather try to find something that was stock on another model that would be a direct replacement to mine. If i could find something like that to suit my needs then great, but if i cant then il have to fabricate.

Im trying to avoid the fabrication.

9. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
  10. project_DragTruck_v2.0

oops...I'm sorry man, I thought you had a 22r, but were just being stubborn. lol! I should stay off here after work, I can't seem to comprehend things after 12 hours of counting, math, and reading...yay work!

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I realized i fkd up too. i didnt specify my engine. Since i kno what engine i have i figured everyone else would too lol.

And TRAP thanks. thats pretty much the type of alt i was looking for.

I just dnt understand what they meant by single or double "rectifier"

Can anyone elaborate?

12. project_DragTruck_v2.0

rectifier...sounds like what happens after a night full of beer and wings.....:shrug:

13. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    No, I believe what you are talking about is a "Rectumfire"

A rectifier is a set of diodes that turn AC current and voltage into DC. The alternator produces AC which is useless in a cars system, so it must be converted.

A double will take way more abuse, because it either would double the capacity of the alt, or halve the load on either rectifier.

14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea i figured it out. i dint bother researching before asking.

What mods to the wiring would i have to do? I dnt remember seeing any harness on the alt

15. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

I put a power master 160amp in my crew cab and yes you need to upgrade the wire from the alt. to the battery
    I bought mine through summit and it took a **** about a month ago I've had it on my truck for about two years summit sent me a new one with no problems

gm alts that are 100+ amps are around $125 thats part of the reson I went to the power master

I bet if you do a little looking around a real auto parts store (not shucks kroger or auto zone) you may find toyota used a high out put alt. look at industral engines