HID headlight problem

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Tacomacalistud, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Tacomacalistud

Tacomacalistud Newbie

Truck:
    90 x cab v6
    i recently did a 4runner front end conversion i went ahead and did the 9004 HID conversion. tonight when i got home i noticed one of the sides was out knowing thats pretty common with HIDs i turned them off waited a min or two and turned them back on then the other went out and i cant get them to turn back on what gives? should i have gotten a H4 HID kit and damaged the 9004 balist? did i burn out the lights already its only been 3 weeks :shrug:

2. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    Ballasts are cheaply made and go out quite often on the Ebay Chinese kits. The real Hella's or Bosch is what you want.

James

3. Tacomacalistud

Tacomacalistud Newbie

Truck:
    90 x cab v6
    i HIGHLY doubt its the brand of hid thats my problem and would more likely think it would have to do with the conversion damageing the kit.........

4. 89dlx47

89dlx47 Veteran

Truck:
    89 standard 2wd
    ive noticed that wen its cold out and i first start my truck only one will come on so wat i do is just flip them on and off a couple times and it usually works, i know your not supposed to flip them on and off real fast but thats the only way i have found to get them to turn on wen its cold out, i would check all your conections and make sure you hooked them up right. i had my buddy hook mine up cuz he did them in all his hondas and he managed to hook the driver side up backwards. hope this helps

5. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    do you have a relay harness...mine were doing the same thing until a put a harness in..it was an ebay harness and after a couple times started doing the same thing..so I modified the harness to have two relays and two plugs..because the ebay harness used one headlight pigtail to trigger the one relay

6. Tacomacalistud

Tacomacalistud Newbie

Truck:
    90 x cab v6
    did you discover the issue was burning out the ballast or was it another issue? (is my hid kit harmed?)

7. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    aftermarket hid ballasts are all the same. The only difference is the plug to adapt to the headlights.

HIDs draw the most current when you turn them on. Try hooking one directly to your battery and see if it works.

Our trucks have some of the cheesiest stock headlight wiring I have ever seen. My halogen headlights were so pathetic when I first did my 4runner conversion I could barely see down the road.

8. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    They are not the same. Cheap parts in the Chinese kits versus the ones that they use on the German cars. Please read:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=139393.0

James

9. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    let me rephrase that..

They all wire the same and are interchangeable (no specific ballast for 9004, 9007, h3, h4 etc..) I install HID kits at my shop quite often.

10. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
  11. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    Yes but ballast do go bad often when they are the cheaper made ones. I know from experience I went through three of them.

James

12. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    It might of harmed the ballast but its working fine with no issues now with the correct harness..as someone said our wiring for the headlights is pretty lame..make yourself a harness and i bet it will go away..if not send em back for warranty since they are so new