HELP! New alternator and voltage regulator 1981 Toyota pickup over charging, sensor light

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Ryan99, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Ryan99

Ryan99 Newbie

Truck:
    81 yota pickup
    I replaced both and my volts is 15-19amps. I’m stumped yet I’m going to see if I have a short any where. Any suggestions? The charge light is on and sensor light. 81 California edition. I’ve been reading about a charge light relay but I’m not seeing anything of that sort on either the passenger or driver kick panel. Any ideas what I can do or check. Or worst case scenario can i upgrade to a gm alty?

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Sounds like a problem with the VR. If you have your old VR hanging around swap the new with it. If the problem goes away it’s the VR.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Upgrade to a GM alt lol.

like fred said, sounds like the regulator is no bueno. You should be able to pull it apart and see if its fried inside

4. Ryan99

Ryan99 Newbie

Truck:
    81 yota pickup
    Damn well I kinda messed that one up. But I’m trying to use a red and green circuit tester. How do I find a short within the wiring?

my dash lights went out and blower as well.
    I want to figure this issue out because ever since I cleaned the connections to my voltage regulator it has been acting up. Also I put new connectors in the voltage regulator wiring so the original green connector is gone. Does anybody have pictures of the original green plug wiring? Hopefully I didn’t mess up because I matched the color coded wires. Only one is the 2 blue wires which one is the silver round thing and the other blue is the one that goes in the voltage regulator.

I also changed the regulator twice. But one was a different p#

5. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    You need the short green wire if you have the 5 wire voltage regulator. Alternator and regulator need to match each other. If you tried using 1/4” spade connectors to replace the green, that’s your problem. Early 4 wire regulators didn’t use the green wire from the alternator. Your truck is late enough it should have 5 wires. Your alternator needs to match your regulator. Older alternators will not work with the 5 wire VR. This is why the green plug is so important.

6. Ryan99

Ryan99 Newbie

Truck:
    81 yota pickup
    I have a 6 wire vr and right now I have a altenator from Napa and 6 prong vr from Napa. I might go back to the oreillys alt and vr.
    Also I was digging around in my wiring and the blue wire from the alternator harness was broken from the flat female connector. The green and black looked ok but not broken. I fixed it regardless. Hopefully that might be the problem

Could the blue wire be part of the dash light and blower also? Because I’m not getting either of those.

And how do I know which alty and vr to match?

thanks guys I’m a noob when it comes with wiring. I have a Haynes manual but it’s like a maze of diagrams

7. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Toyota color codes everything. If the blue wire is factory and broken at a connection, you can assume it’s ok to reconnect the same.
    As far as dash lights and blower check your fuses under the dash.
    My truck’s older than yours so wiring may have changed. Good luck.

8. Ryan99

Ryan99 Newbie

Truck:
    81 yota pickup
    Ok so I figured it out. It was corrosion due to age. So old wiring should be checked, even the plugs for bad connections. My volts sit back in 13s kinda ok. Still have some electrical issues but dash lights work again.

Blower does not work anymore maybe I need a new one?? How do I check it? Fuses are good

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Run power directly to it. If it works it works