Hello to all you Toyota enthusiast's

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ronota, Jun 8, 2021.

?

2L diesel to revive an SR5 4x4 pickup with a broke 22RTE

1. Any suggestions

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Too under powered or not too terrible?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ronota

ronota Newbie

New here to this site. Not sure where to look for suggestions on my next project.
    I have a 1987 SR5 4x4 truck with a factory 22RTE, yes turbo. Unfortunately the engine
    threw a rod through the block at 232,000.K The truck is in decent shape so I'd like to get it going again.
    I came across a 1985 Hilux that was imported to BC Canada from Japan (right hand drive) The Hilux was written off due to an accident which bent the frame in the front right and even bending the front solid axle.
    Too bad , I was thinking of doing a solid axle swap.
    It only had 108,000 k so I thought transplanting the 2L non turbo diesel would keep my old 87 going for years to come. Everything is there on the Hilux, glow plugs cycle, starts and runs great, just a little bent.
    The radiator is bent a bit but doesn't leak. Sadly one of the air conditioning tubes broke free from the pump. So no air. So I have all the parts to do an engine swap but was talking to a fellow who said he had the 2L in a 4 runner but swapped it for a VW tdi turbo for more power. My question is how terribly slow or under powered is the Toyota 2L diesel? and how is the fuel economy. Probably most important, how hard to get parts for the 2L in Canada?

2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Welcome aboard

3. ronota

ronota Newbie

Thanks Toyotaholic, Sweet 88 xtracab

TRUCK ACTION likes this.